Ideal Plants For Bettas

sunnylass

I've been a little slack on the plant side of things with my fish, and have decided I need to pull my finger out and buy a heap. Can anyone recommend some that I can buy that are easy to get at lfs? I did a search on the forums to see if there was a thread, but didn't find anything (or maybe I just didnt look deep enough).

don't know if you can get them at a LFS but java moss, java fern and hornwart are all great, and easy to grow IMO (although Java fern can grow great guns in one tank and not so much in the neighbouring tank for some reason!). Non are rooted into the ground, which s great if you have bare-bottom tanks like I do :)

Someone may have posted that they had some for sale at some stage - try a WTB :)

if you are in the area stop by and have a look at what I have in the betta tanks. Mostly java moss, java fern and little potted anubias. The wild tanks have larger anubias on driftwood. You need plants that tolerate low light, as most betta bowls are not well illuminated. Even a strand or two of elodea can work if the bowl/tank is large enough.

cheers, J

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Alasse is very kindly going to post me some of her java ferns :) I'll also write down everyone's suggestions and have a look in the local lfs around here. And someone, if I'm in the area, and I stop in, I'll be buying again LOLOLOL. Those three I bought from you have settled in beautifully :)

Q; Which plants are best for bettas?

A; Live ones.

As a serial plant killer I can confidently say the best plant I have found is Java fern. Silver dollars and so far yabbies don't nibble at it, it survives in low light and grows like a mushroom!

There is another more expensive plant that thrives well in my tanks but I can't remember what it's called, but I can narrow it down for you. It's green and leafy!!!

I am also plant killer! I've got 2 Amazon sword at the moment that are still alive, but haven't seemed to grow at all in the 4 months i've had them hmmm I've also got a single stem of hornwart floating in a tank, which I'm surprised isn't dead yet. I've managed to kill java moss without any effort and most other plants including elodea!! I wouldn't mind trying out java fern but have yet to come across any of at a reasonable price in my LFS. Alasse I don't suppose you'd have any more java fern pups you're looking to part with?? They'd be most welcome here

Edited by Fighters4U