Coffee Table Tanks

Ghengis

I don't know how many times I've gone into furniture stores and looked (drooled) at those cool glass coffee tables, the one-piece curved jobbies.

Like these:

1000-104418.jpg

I'd love to get a hold of one of these, tip it on it's side and have two pieces of glass cut, one for the base and one for the back. A healthy dose of silicone, and voila! These'd make the best tanks, don't you think?

I have a vision of mounting one in a wall, with the curved corners protruding slighlty and a floor to ceiling cabinet type trim thingy to finish it off...don't worry if you can't picture it, I'll try do something up on SketchUp and post it for you...

Regardless, have any of you looked lustfully and wontonly as I have at the potential in such an innocent piece of furniture???

The large one in that pic above measures 550x1200x600mm for 396L.

Or there's this one:

400-102747.jpg

700x1250x400 for 350L...

Too bad the things are so expensive to start with.

btw, the smaller tables are 450x500x600 for 135L...perfect for a planted cube! You could have a whole little family of the things!

Bender, I don't know what furniture stores you have in you area, but I see these in many different places. Freedom, Harvey Norman etc. By "expensive", I mean they're worth somewhere around the $300-500 region, depending on how high-brow the particular store is.

I also see them second hand from time to time, but the prices are seldom much less than new, IMO.

divy, I had a feeling this'd pique you interest. I think we both have that constant need to turn stuff into other stuff all the time. My partner thinks I'm crazy, but what does she know??

Ain't this "page centre" thing just the raddest?? :lol:

The idea is fantastic, I have 2 20L tanks with curved front corners.

But how would you know if the table glass could support 300+ kg without exploding?

I guess you wouldn't... You'd have to expect, though, that these things would be way over engineered and designed to stand a bit of abuse. They're also made from 12mm glass, so I'd reckon they'd be pretty strong. At 1200mm wide, you might want to run a top-brace, which would go a long way to preventing any explosions, also...

I dunno. It's all just a dream, atm, but certainly something for the think bank. Problem is, the more I think about it, the more I want to make it happen!!

most of that sort of glass furniture would be made out of toughened glass

and its weekest point is its edge and 12mm glass is pretty good ive walked and jumped on 12mm

un toughened glass without any prob i would be interrested in seeing the finished product

if you do end up doing :lol:

I MIGHT do it. It'll be some time away, though...I'll need to get alot of brownie points racked up before I could even begin dropping the little hint type questions...then the negotiation period...some more brownie earning...more negotiation...

The latest Super A-Mart catalogue up here has one of these in 1150mm wide for $350-odd. The most expensive part would be the bottom sheet of glass, what with the rounded corners and all. Doubt it could be done for less than $800, with filters and all the extra's required. Putting it in a wall would top $1K, I'd reckon. Give or take.

Still tempting, though! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Great minds do think alike... I had the same idea when I was furniture shopping with the missus (well following her around and agreeing anyway lol).

The 'coffee table tank' headline sure brought back fun memories of dad getting up in the middle of the night and drop-kicking a heater through the side of his old one...

Archived