Guppies!

darennkj

Hi all,

I've been here for a while, just haven't into myself yet :)

I'm currently concentrating on breeding some hi-dorsal blue grass.

So far so good.

Have three other strains too, but the blue grass looks best among the lot :)

Will try outcrossing once I've set the strain.

(mad scientist at work)

I'm currently concentrating on breeding some hi-dorsal blue grass.

Cool :). How about the tails? I am perpetually on the lookout for Guppies with 'proper' tails - at least, how they used to be when I was a wee young thing...

I recall I had the most spectacular metallic green Guppy, with fins like a mini Betta. Strong little body he had, with a half moon tail and impressive dorsal and anal fins - just to die for. Thing is, that was pretty normal back then in Europe. Not particularly unusual, but common aquarium store fare. These days Guppies in Australia seem to have piddly little tails. I haven't been impressed by any Australian/Asian ones in the dozen years I've been looking, nor even a batch of German imports, but still the crazy optimist in me hopes that someone, somewhere, will get back to breeding Guppies with great finnage.

Finley :)

Wow....that's exactly what my dad said to me! Apparently guppies these days are more colourful, and there are more strains out there. But when it comes to finnage and tail sizes, the ones he used to have when he was at London were far superior!

My first step for now is to set the strain, get the line going. Still doing some research on the genetic makeup of this strain. Anyone have any ideas what's a good cross-breeding strain for this?