Female Bettas Mouth Locking? what the??

Notorious

Are you ABSOLUTELY certain they are both female? My first spawn I had 1 male and 2 females in the spawn tank (or so I thought) the moment I introduced the 2 females the male and one of the females started locking lips and wrestling...turned out one of the females was a short finned male.

Edited by Fighters4U

that's what Shark-bait and Luna did when I first put SB in the girls tank - needless to say I freaked out, separated them and took SB back out ... a week or so later I just threw all the girls into the tank at once and decided to let them sort it out. (mean while they had all been in the one tank - they could all see each other they just couldn't 'get' to one another ... ) I never saw them do it again... and they did seem to get on okay - but those to always seem to be more 'tolerating' each other vs being happy together IYKWIM

will be interesting to see how it goes with putting them all back in together now that i have had them separated for the last few weeks in prep for moving....

yeah I have seen it before in females. I was fortunate enough that no real damage was done. I guess it's like anything - sometimes they'll establish the pecking order quick smart and move on, and sometimes they'll never let it rest til someone loses a lip :D

yeah Luna actually has a damaged lip from it, It use to throw me as she always seemed to have her mouth open... I have put it down to damage from the fight she had with SB - she seems fine with it now and has no ill effects from it.