Planted Barracks Issues...

Ghengis

Decided to split this away from the DIY Barracks Thread. Anyone needing to recap the story so far, this is where it starts

K, so I ran the pH test...not even remotely Alkaline. Probably about 6.2 - 6.5ish. Could there be a lack of nutrients in the tank? I'm not keen to add Excel, as I reckon it'd just melt the plants and I'd be back to square one... Could it be lack of sufficient water movement around the leaves (the plants are sitting in a corner, as you may have seen)? One other possibilty that I've considered is that all the cuttings have come from a (DIY) CO2 environment...maybe they're struggling under "normal" tank conditions (although that stricta is a pretty hardy species)?

It's really got me miffed as to what could be happening...

When I first got the Stricta, when I first planted my 70, I only had 15w (.81wpg) above it and it seemed to be fine with that. Now I'm running 39w over 58L (in the front section), for 2.6wpg. I could try refitting the other 39w globe to the fixture, but that'd be 78 over 58 (5.2wpg)...algae territory, methinks. Not to mention serving my boys a good dose of instant blindness!

Either way, I think I have the wpg situation under control... I think

Maybe I should give it a while... I plan to tear down the 70 in the new year and re-'scape it into something a bit more arty, so I might have a bunch of cuttings with good root balls to select from, if the barracks doesn't take off.

Did the tank the plants came from have stronger lighting? Or the same? I couldn't quite follow what lighting was before, after, current. But you know what, I don't think a change of lighting really explains the melt anyway. Especially with it affecting two types of plants. Confused.

• 5 weeks later...

Small update, here... Gave up on the Stricta in the end...and the Wysteria. Have fallen back on ol' faithful, Bacopa. I figure, if Bacopa don't grow in there, nothing will! As luck would have it, though, it seems to be doing very well, actually growing past the water surface, and throwing down some strong roots...

My theory on the Stricta is that it likes good water movement, and was not receiving that... The Bacopa will grow anywhere, but does very well in low current/still water. Which is practically what this is...

Archived