Fruit Fly Larvae

Anasfire

I have fruit flies taking over my house, even thought I've made a point of it not to keep any fruit out in the open (other than in the fridge) for weeks. They seem to love cultures, especially the vinegar eels because of the apple I think but they all drown in it. In the Microworms they lay eggs which I'm guessing turn into a larvae before going into a cocoon and becoming the flies. I've found heaps of these little white grub larvae around the edges of my MW culture (they don't seem to harm the cultures at all) and thought rather than removing them and killing them that my bettas might like them. Low and behold they LOVE them! I even had one of my shyest girls eat one off the tip of my finger. So if you guys have these little pests too feed them to your bettas! They love them. They'll also eat the adult flies too!

Yep they absolutely love the little maggots! That was the first live food I tried with Sebastion, she sucks them in so fast it looks like she inhaled it! My supply is now gone, but will try cultivating them if I get some more.

you all can't be cultivating illegal pests!!! LOL!!

Accidental fruit fly infestation is kind of handy if you're after wrigglers, but I am pretty sure you're obliged by law to kill any fruit fly in your vicinity :lol: so actually cultivating them would be a no no :)

You can get wingless drosophila (fruit fly) which it's legal to cultivate, I think.

Trust me I try to kill any of the little blighters I come across but they are too fast! The few I have managed to kill end up in any fish tank I am nearest to and is most welcomed by any fish around. I think they are actually helping these 2 juvies I have to grow faster too, since starting to feed them they seem to be getting bigger by the day. it's awesome!

I got them in my MW cultures as well. I bit less appealing that the microworms, but a great live food.

Some people culture fruit flies not for the adults, but for the maggots. Get a bunch of eggs, tip out the adults, wait til eggs hatch, rinse off culture medium, feed maggots :lol:

I had no idea they were illegal to culture/release!

Southern biological supply company sells drosophila in several varieties, including the wingless ones.

Funny thing is I've never seen the eggs, I just open my culture container to either sub-culture or remove some to sell and there the maggots are, around the rim...some have already cocooned themselves so i discard them but I spose I could even feed them to the fish. Can anyone think of a reason why not to? They must be laying the eggs directly into the culture medium. They seem to have a really short life cycle too eg I'll notice the fly's in the cultures one day and get rid of them and the next there are huge maggots in there (well huge compared to the size of the fly's they'll turn into). I think I better start checking daily and removing them as I find them.

PS to anyone who's bought a MW culture off me recently you may just find a surprise of fruit fly larvae in your containers lol and now you know what to do with them! Bettas love them (and so would any fish large enough to eat them I guess)

Here they are trying to get rid of fruit fly's and i'm sending them across the country in MW cultures! In my own defense It didn't occur to me before now that the eggs were being laid in it..oops

LOL! I didn't think about the legality of the issue, or the environmental disaster it could cause! I think feeding them to the betta's is a good way to fulfill your legal obligations of killing them. The eggs must be quite tiny, cause the larvae start out very small. I had to keep some of them in their fruit till they were big enough for Sebastion to take notice of.