Sprouting & Ovary Patch...

Peta

Okay so you all are aware that I have no idea 79% of the time right...

These two terms where used in my non dslr photos thread... and I think it might be worth white getting some more info on what exactly these terms refer to /mean...

(my dt's are still gender confussed - I swear hidie had a bubble nest going on yesterday - even if it was a very crappy one haha)

So what do you all mean when you talk about Sprouting???

and What's and Ovary Patch - what do you look for???

sprouting is when the males sprout their fins :blink:

I may well have made that term up!!

Ovary patch ...hmm a pic tells a 1,000 words and there are definitely photos on the forum, try a forum wide search for "ovary". Or someone might have a photo to upload. I have a meeting in 5, so gotta run!

Don't stress Lilli, I use 'sprouting' as well.

When I say overy patch I'm refering to the triangular egg sac area, males are kind of all head and body, female have a lot of stomache area happening. on pale and transparent females you can see the area is white, on other females you can usually see that the area is distended slightly. It could have been the photos but I'm pretty sure that it's there on the fish you showed us.

Lilli you're not the only one that use's the term - hence why I asked as I know I have seen it a lot but never really seen and explination about what it really means :lol:

The Ovary patch photos thing - i did do a serach first etc about both terms (that's how I know you're not the only one to use Sprouting :) hehe) ... I found an older thread where someone (sara - I think it was you actually!) had posted some photos... but they where long gone unfortantely (no longer hosted etc) ...

If anyone does have photos that show this would be interested to see as I'm more of a visual person LOL.

Here is a pic of one of my girls that could easily have been confused as an unsprouted male. Not only does she have long fins but she flared like crazy. Now one of the dead give aways that this is a girl is that she has a cream coloured egg sack, just behind her pectoral fins. While some people will say that the stripes will tell you it's a girl I have also seen similar strips on young juvenile fish so you can not go on that alone.

Sexing young bettas is a hard thing to do and even now after all my years breeding I can still get it wrong.

Cheers,

Najina

Blue_HM_Female.jpg

Thanks Najina - so basically we are talking about the bumpy bit up the front right?

and although I know there is no set 'ageing' - at what stage do you personaly consider your guys to be no longer young juveniles?

Well I seem to understand that all a little better now lol

It must be the photos (mine not the ones posted) ... becasue to my understanding both Hidie and Luna do show the bumps and patches. ... but I'm still not convinced enough to call it yet ... I know I have one girl for sure (Rosie) and am using her as my reference point as well.

Now having doubts about little Rocky growing up to be a girl - as can't see lumps/patches ... but will give Rocky a few months more of growing before I try to even start working that one out.

haha yeap - was refering to Sara's ", female have a lot of stomache area happening." ... I've been doing the old compare to the boys and from what I can tell their tummies are different in shape - not as 'slim' as the boys :whistling: (and all my fishies get feed around the same to ward off piggieness - well expect for Kissinger who hates pellets and will not eat them lol)

Archived