Light

Peta

Okay so dumb question coming up....

what is the best lighting conditions to keep the tanks in??? With moving house I'm going to have to pick somewhere in the house for the tanks to go, and not sure what I should keep in mind. The fish are currently just in my bedroom that gets hardely any light at all (or air... grr.. thank god I'm moving!)

So was wondering - do I put them in a room that gets good light or one of the darker rooms that get only a small amount of light... ???

ps. another dumb question I've always wanted to ask - do you leave filters on 24/7 .. .or can they be turned on a certain times for certain lengths of time?

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

filter has to remain on 24/7 or the bacteria will die. Or so conventional wisdom goes. I wouldn't risk turning it off.

As for light, apparently UV is important for ray development so some natural light is good (or a uv lamp like a lizard lamp), but be aware they have no eyelids so limit UV exposure or you can cause eye damage. Maybe 15 minutes a day under a lamp? Otherwise they just need enough light for you to see them by, or for your plants to grow, IMO.

Re light: It depends :-) If you aren't keeping plants, then it's not too important. But you want to see your fish, so put a light on them or put them somewhere out of direct sunlight but with high ambient light. If you rely on ambient light, you have less control. Most people would put a small light on the tank. Direct sunlight could overheat the tank and cause algae problems.

Re filter: While it still depends, short answer is always leave your filter on, there's few imaginable reasons for turning it off unless maybe you're cleaning it or otherwise need to take it out of the water.

thanks everyone - guess I might have to change the house layout that I was thinking of doing, as the room I was thinking of gets a lot of afternoon sunlight. Not really sure about how much light the other rooms get guess will have to access that on saturday before bringing the fishies over on sunday, although lucky enough don't have to much furniture at this stage to worry about and also the fish tanks I do have aren't 'big' tanks (yet haha) so they can be easily moved around until we find the perfect spot!

I do have on filter (Sponge) in use, and was turning that off ... guess I'll be leaving it on now lol

Good luck with the move Peta. You know that shed I keep the majority of my fish in, its shocking for direct light. I'm thinking of putting up some sort of light weight cloth over the window to cut down the light. The algae is shocking. You'll have to let me know the new address and once you're all settled in etc, so I can come and visit :)

Knowing that it's a sponge filter, the answer is definitely leave it on, no doubts at all.

The sponge is primarily what's called a biological filter. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the terminology, but that means that it filters the water by providing alot of surface area with high water flow, and therefore oxygen. This surface area is colonised by oxygen-loving bacteria that eat fish waste, and break it down into progressively less toxic forms. What's left is what we remove in waterchanges. If you take away the oxygen for more than a few minutes, the bacteria can start to die. This means the filter won't work when it's turned back on, not until the bacteria have had time to colonise it again. Exactly how long you can turn off the waterflow for until this happens is debated, but we're not talking hours here.

Sorry for the long explanation, I hope it helps. Why do you want to turn it off anyway? Is it that it's too noisy at night?

More of a long story about the situation I am/was living in... but that will all change next week!!! I can use what ever electricty I want and don't have to worry about other people's crap ... (as I said long story/explination)

Teela will definately let you know when I'm setteled so you can come mover for a look see at my lot hehe :)

Edited by Peta(&Eric)