One Of My Boys

Djenn666

hey :)

i'm posting this for two reasons. 1. i ADORE this guy to death (even if he was a neurotic tail-chewing stressbucket when i got him) and he's now my fave ornamental fish

and 2. what colour is he exactly? He was sold to me as a turquoise HM (i've now discovered he's not a HM lol) but the colouring of his anal and tail fine don't match.

any help? ( i have other pictures of him but i though that this was the best one)

HMmale.jpg

Susan

wow, interesting fish!

strictly speaking, IMO he is a blue yellow bicolour. He also appears to have a butterfly pattern on his tail. Unfortunately in terms of 'correct' pattern he doesn't seem to have the butterfly colour distribution on his other fins. Some people might call this "mustard gas" as he is blue + yellow, but I personally wouldn't - his yellow isn't present in all fins (or so it appears)

thanks :) i was thinking possibly the same thing. His dorsal fin is the same colour as his body so i have no idea what to make of that. When i first got him i -thought- he also had a turquoise tail so imagine my suprise when it grew back long enought o see clearly and it was yellow!

any thoughts on what i should be looking for in a female for him (since his tank is covered in a MASSIVE bubble nest). And any thoughts on what i might get out of him?

oh! and i think the 'butterfly' on his tail is the result of his tail growing back a slightly different colour (although it was shorter than the first palest section).

Edited by Anamaere

He reminds me of one of my first favourite bettas :)

I'd look for a MG female, a black lace female, or a blue female (metallic blue would be nice) or even a steel female carrying melano. I'd choose a HM female with plenty of finnage, possibly from a line of rosetails, as your male is only a delta and you'd want to improve on that finnage in subsequent generations. Try and get a female that doesn't have an especially long anal fin, as his is a little long and messy (all his fins should fit in a circle).

With any of the colours I suggested you may get red wash in the first generation, but you should get yellow again in the second. Something to do with yellow fish having a red gene and a non-red gene (which makes them yellow), so some offspring have red. I never really understood why it happens, just learned the hard way that it does!

Finally, tail chewing might be genetic so bear in mind that your lovely babies may eat themselves as juveniles!

awesome. I was thinking of a MG female if i could find one (am going to someone lea's new store today - am very very excited!) I shall have to do a bit of a search as i can't recall black lace (i feel like such a noob sometimes). and you're definitely right about the finnage. apparently before he chewed he had a very very ong tail and was just off half moon (he isn't flaring int he pic which is a pain but i don't think he's much bigger than that anyway)

Eh if tail chewing is genetic he and whatever female i buy for him can be ornaments xD I'm hoping he just chewed because he was stressed out (was a pale pale greenish blue with a MASSIVE black stripe covering half of his sides when i got him)

Edited by Anamaere

they'll be coming (though i'm awful at remembering to put up things like blogs and spawning logs xD )

i'm considering fixing up my second tank i have for spawninga nd trying wiht the MG girl and this boy because my orange crowns just seem content to just live together -.- *facepalm*

oh and YAY! his tail is even longer now!

Edited by Anamaere

If his tail grows to balance that anal it will be HUGE! glad your going to keep us updated on future spawns, should be interesting to see what you get.

Peta, I went in and had no money, it was a somewhat painful experience! I'm going to soothe myself by going back thursday.

I'll cross my fingers for a spawn :blink:

Argh! stop talking up the shop lol, I'm glad I was out of there before the bettas arrived, I wouldn't be eating or paying bills otherwise. I might have to go back though...

Edited by Sara_01

lol i may have to go back to hunt down another nice orange crowntail male . Have given up on those two spawning (the male is a teensy thing and has just upped and decided to stop flaring and making nests) *sighs*'

onto conditioning the Hm female and this guy! *dances*

and bleh i always forget something. His tail is still growing. Is getting closer and closer to almost being balanced :lol:

Edited by Anamaere