Non Dslr Photos

Peta

Okay so I'm currently with out the trusty big Canon with it's wonderful Macro lens (it's at the boys)

I needed a photo fishie fix... so pulled out my compact digi (also a canon haha Canon Powershot SX100 IS to be exact hehe)

fist up is the worse for wear Hidie... she's got regrowth and such now... but yes this is what my girls now look like (and Hidie got off lightly!)

IMG_1266w.jpg

Next Hidie's boyfriend... I plan to breed Hidie and Gus when I get settled... Do you think they are a good pairing??

IMG_1301w.jpg

IMG_1310w.jpg

and- the sweet Frankie... would you say the red is red wash - or is it acutally colouring?

IMG_1339w.jpg

lastly... Kisses from Kissenger. I swear this boy is the pacifist of the bunch he rarely flares and will spends most of his time actually watching me. (instead of who ever is showing off in the cube beside him)

IMG_1392w.jpg

Thanks Sara. :D

I'm going to have some fun with them for sure and see what we can get out of them. I'm also thinking of pairing Gus to Luna as well - old photo below. I picked Hidie first out of the pair as she's blue like Gus... but might be interesting to see what Luna (whom I think is a sibling of Hidies) would throw in as well - then maybe cross the two spawns back LOL

IMG_3598w.jpg

Edited by Peta(&Eric)

Hey Najina really - how come? I've never doubted Luna to be a girl (She act's like one haha) Hidie is actually the one who I use to be unsure of as she was a/marked as a male when I argued with the fish shop that she was a girl b/she's the one who will flare and do the most cashing around the tank out of the two.

Guess we will find out when I start getting her organised for Gus :) I must admit out of all the girls, Luna and Hidie are the two I haven't seen 'stripe' up ... guess if the only way to know for sure is to see if we get egg's from them! :D

I was thinking the same as najrick when I looked at the photo of Luna, I was thinking it because of her very long ventrals, elongated anal and dorsal fins....I was thinking the same of Hidie too actually, the tattered fins make her look more feminine but she still appears to have the classic male long ventrals, elongated anal and dorsal fins. It might just be that they are immature or late bloomers and will come into their finnage as they get older.

As for Luna acting like a boy, that could be because she is and was when you bought her lol. Although in saying that I've had quite a few females over the years who have behaved less than lady like on more than one occasion and even had one female that would shred the tail of any male she didn't 'approve' of me trying to pair with her. I lost many males this way and no amount of conditioning her to them solved the problem. It was like she was interested one minute and then snapped the next. I called her Lava, as in the destructive force that spews from a volcano and leaves devastation wherever it goes lol... I think the name suited her

Generally when I go into the LFS I have to argue the case that they have plakat males in the female tank and it suddenly becomes clear as to why they're finding so many of them with shredded tails and even dead from stress.

Edited by Fighters4U

Hehe - well I guess the only way to know for sure will be to try and spawn them and see. I've had them both since september, so should be around the 6month old mark I would guess at (working on them being 3months when I got them). Was just looking at my old thread of photos of them and wow they have grown a lot. If they are boys, they are very well behaved ones, as I can put them both in a small (8lt) tank together and they will just swim around happily together ... and they are the ones doing the least amount of flaring/chasing in the girls tank. :)

you could also try jarring and carding them. The second one, Luna, looks like an unsprouted long finned male to me. If he sprouts you'll have avoided the possible injuries you might expect from 2 males in a spawning tank.

well, I got home and just decided to have a little 'put luan next to a boy and see' test .... I put her in a little cube next to Kissengers tank to see what both of them would do actually (as Kiss's as I said the most placid boy)... HE WENT OFF!! Flaring and running up and down the side of the tank I've never seen him flare so much - it's normally he see's the other boys and runs to the other side of the tank to put a bit of distace between them (or sits there watching me paying no mind to who's over the other side of the tank) .... he's even started a little bubble nest and is doing the dash back and forth... and Luna has stripes! (not the stress ones :D) ....

Currently getting the same reactions with Hidie on the other side of the tank wall... :)

So I think I'll wait and see and let the fish tell me what sex they really are... so excited about moving more and more!! Going to have so much fun with my 'kiddlets' haha.

When I first saw these girl my first reaction was tht they're male, but the shape of their bodies and stomaches really strikes me as female. Also they both appear to have egg patches as Stfan mentioned. I had a male that used to show vertical bars during feeding time :) crazy fishies.

Good luck with the move, moving is a drag but you seem pretty happy about it lol :D

Oh yeah, I can not wait I wish I was actually moving this weekend. I made the boy drive past the house every time we even whent 'sorta' near it.... drove him crazy but he humoured me hehe.

I can not wait to be out of uni share houseing!! Have been living in share houses for the last 5 years .... having just a room for all my stuff and playing by other peoples rules and dealing with your standard house sharing stuff....

I can't WAIT. A house to myself and the fishes, we'll not know what to do with our selves! Ohh and the boyfriend is moving in also haha.

• 4 weeks later...