Shrinking?

Guest FishyGurl

Guest FishyGurl

Hello !!

I have two goldfish that were rather large but they have shrunk!! they used to be so big i could just pick them up to move them but now i can pick them up easily and they are nearly half the size they were??

Could they have shrunk??

Please don't get offended, but did you recently leave your fish in someone elses care?

The reason I ask is that I once came home from a break away to find two of my fish behaving quite differently to when I left. My black/yellow platy was now the boy, and the orange mickey mouse was the girl. Until I pointed this out no one would admit anything. They had forgotten to feed the fish, then overfed causing major fungus and death, then dragged the whole setup to the lfs to get help. They had replaced the fish with the right colours, and remembered I only had one male to the five girls, but not which one was which! I was angry that I'd had to drag it out of them, but I couldn't help but laugh at the lengths they'd gone too to get it right. They didn't care if I was angry at them, but were worried the death of my fish would be the breaking point at a bad time in my life, and for that I loved them, and laughed some more! Good thing I have a weird sense of humor.

I know it sounds like a bad sit-com plot, but people who love us sometimes go to great lengths to spare us pain, and it wouldn't be the first time a pet was replaced.

LOL! Surprisingly it wasn't the last time some one baby sat my fish for me. That decision was made more recently after a friend handed back one of my goldfish frozen in a little cup of ice. The poor thing had tumor problems, and I wasn't surprised it had passed away, only shocked to see it in ice! When I asked why they hadn't flushed it, it turned out that the plan had been to take it to the lfs and replace it with a lookalike, but they couldn't find a match for a frozen calico fantail! I now stock the tank with loads of bunch plants I know they will eventually eat through and leave them home!