Moving House - Betta Transport

Peta

Okay so in two weeks time I'll be moving house (YAY) so wondering if here is any tips/advice on things to do for my little fishy friends before the move, during the move and after the move.... ???

a tad excited about this move as it's into a house all my own - sharing only with the boyfriend and fishies hehe. They (the fishies) will pretty much be having their own room and yay - plans for breeding will soon follow once we have everything set up and we're all have become use to our new surroundings.

Those in Ipswich - whats the tap water like?

Peta,

I moved back in May and had the same issues and I had a 4ft, 3.4ft and a few 2ft tanks to move and set back up. I ended up getting a few bags from my LFS, they charged me about 10-20c per bag...very reasonable, and I made sure the tanks and fish were the last thing to go and the first to be set up. For my large Oscar, Logan, I put him in a 5lt round container with a lid (obtained from Crazy Clarks or similar) and used the bags for the other fish, at the time I had Tiger barbs, guppys, bettas, pleco's etc along the lines of community fish. I borrowed a few eski's from a friend to transport my food in from the fridge and ended up not needing the smaller one of the 2 so I used that for the filters. I filled it with enough tank water to cover the filters and transported them in that, plugging them all in and leaving them running in the eski once I arrived at the new place until I had the tanks set up for them to go back into so the good bacteria in them didn't all die off and turn nasty. It might be worth getting something like stress coat or something similar to put in the bags with the fish, this will hopefully minimise the stress from the move although if you only have adult bettas I'm sure they'll survive the move pretty well.

Good Luck!! Moving sucks, don't envy you at all!

xx Cassi

When I moved my bettas I got some bags from someone, Like F4U I had a lot of other tanks to move as well so i found the bags to be a bit of a hassle. The next time around I bought a heap of round take away containers (about 450mL) and lids and moved them that way, it was a lot easier and the ontainers are so handy around the fishroom. Until your dogs get a hold of a stack of about 50 and make merry with them :)

doesn't everyone in Australia who's not on tank/bore water have fluoridated water?

I have vague memories of moving giant cichlids in storage tubs and a battery-operated airstone, and double-bagging some big severums so they wouldn't pierce the bag with their dorsal spines. Thankfully its a long while since I've moved.

Brisbane was the last bastion of sanity until the pressure got too much and the spineless caved.

Did anyone ask the public what they thought about mass medication of water with a toxin??

Bring on the carbon filtered bottle water....

But, not to hijack a thread...Ipswich is near the head of the water supply, so HEAPS of chlorine. When I fill the water change tubs they smell like a public pool.

I fill the goldfish tubs outside straight from the tap - but double the dose of neutraliser. If you can store the water for a day or so, standard dose is fine.

You CANNOT do a water change, even a small one, without neutraliser - it is a disaster in the making.

The water here is quite hard and alkaline. It doesn't seem to worry the fish (even the discus), but if you are breeding soft water fish some adjustments may be needed.

HTH cheers, J

Thanks Girls!!!

I have my bag's all ready for the big move... well not my bags... the FISHIE's bags... I went to my LFS, (the one where 99% of them came from) and asked if they sold the bags they had, explained why etc and they where really nice and gave me the bags for nothing! So ten little plastic bags waiting for ten little fishies..

Now just to wait untill moving day, lucky I'm not moving that far (30/40mins)

After seeing brown tinted water coming out the pipes on various occasions we got a benchtop filter, one of the ones that hooks up direct to the normal tap (we rent). I still use dechlorinator without fail, and seam to do well. When the dam levels were still low we did get some really odd reactions happening in the goldfish tank. Also as someone mentioned at times the chlorine in the water is incredibly strong, enough to affect your eyes when you have a hot shower. I do age my water but still double up on the dechlorinator in case its more chloramine we're dealing with which can hang around a lot longer than chlorine.

Oh, and on the unofficial topic of fluoride *lol* I asked the filter maintenance man about it when he installed this years filter and he says it removes about 98%, so I should buy drops to add back in :D

I'm a fourth generation fluoridated person, and you should see my bone scans, all sorts of oddities. I can't prove its from the fluoride,(not until I'm dead anyway) but I wish they'd prove it wasn't before wholesaling it to the world! An interesting note, camelia plants absorb more fluoride from water than any other edible plant. Your daily cuppa has more fluoride in it than you'd ever need! For more info google: tea fluoride

end of :lol:

Oh, and I can't remember where I saw it, but someone posted that they couldn't hook up their filter because of a problem with the male to female coupling, just to let you know, you can buy an adapter for that for under $15.

• 2 weeks later...

well they have been moved!! Going to be fussing over them for the next week I'm sure hope they haven't been two stressed - going to try not to move them around to much or fuss over them a lot. I'm glad it's been a hot day as the electricity wont be turned on until TUESDAY! (hopefully) *sigh*

haven't made up mind to where they are going etc for now the girls are all in single cubes/containers until I can work out a/where they are going b/what I want to do with their tank c/if any of them are boys haha The boys are all back in their normal tanks.

Worried mostly about how Gus will cope with the change, as his tail has developed splits and holes - his tail looks like it's got a run in it like a pair of stockings! He had been in medi tank before the move as I was worried it was a case of fin rot (give that he has a LOT of tail) so yeah will be keeping a very close eye on him this week.

Hopefully they will all handle the change in water quality fine, they all for the most part seemed to perk up really well after the move ... Rocky and Jaffa where flaring at each other the last time I checked on them LOL

Archived