Water And Water Changes

Notorious

Normally I age water for 24hrs before putting into tank, does this get rid of all the nasties?

I read of peeps putting in Seachem products Prime and Clarity, is this beneficial and does this process affect the water differently to the ageing process?

whats ur technique for water changes?

With my community tank, water goes in there straight from the tap with no treatment *runs n hides*

Even if you age the water, you need to condition it with something like Seachem Prime. It removes chlorine that may not have evaporated yet, and it removes chloramine and the ammonia released when chloramine is removed, neither of which evaporate under normal conditions.

Some conditioners also help relieve stress and enhance the fish's slime coat.

You need to make sure the new water is the same temperature as the fish's water when you replace it.

I treat my tap water with Prime or Aqua Star, and age and heat it overnight in a large tank or tub with an aquarium heater.

i agree with what Splendidbetta said..totally true.

if the temperature is lower, even if it's age water, my bettas fins start to rot/ melt away

so i've learnt to age water, with IAL extract / real leaf,..and heat it up to at least same or higher temperature

and do a 25% water change and add the conditioned water..and Bettas are happy as ever

If You want to "Age" water..... then 48 hours in the Sun will be time for chlorine to dissipate....chloramine will need a week....that's why they use it because it lasts longer

I "age" water a week....inside.....I use Prime and add biological additives as well

You can just fill up from the tap if you are talking 20% water change.....but every now and then the water supply may contain a higher dose of disinfectant....and bag....dead fish

Also I believe chloramine has a cumulative effect.....you are playing "Russian Roulette"

I insure my house,I insure my car.....and I use Prime :)

I believe it is better to add water slightly cooler.....That is exactly what happens to fish in a Storm in the Wild

Archived