Daingeann

Hi all,

I thought I'd better introduce myself. I am in Alice Springs and re-invigorating my tanks, after a little bit of travel. I have a 3' tropical freshwater and a custom hexagonal tank (about 15litres I think) with 2 goldfish. I orignially started with that one on the basis of if I could keep at least one fish alive in there for 12 months I could get myself a larger tank, which is how the 3' came about. I don't have any of my original fish left, but I do have one black widow tetra that is at least 5 years old and has been travelling with me from NSW to QLD and across to the Alice. Along with the fish I have 5 dogs and a cat, and wish I could have more animals but suburbia doesn't always agree.

The 3' tank is currently planted and has 2 algae eaters, the tetra, 2 corys and 4 platys (1m 3f).

Along with the fish I have 5 dogs and a cat, and wish I could have more animals but suburbia doesn't always agree.

The 3' tank is currently planted and has 2 algae eaters, the tetra, 2 corys and 4 platys (1m 3f).

Thanks for the welcome. Taking photos of the dogs is easy, since they sort of behave themselves. Just tried to take photos of the tropical tank and oh boy! i think I need a new lens that I can put up against the glass and then get the fish swimming past.

I'll post elsewhere, but for info the Alice's water is extremely mineralised and very hard and alkaline which leads to a high fish loss. I have since lost the albino cory, but the bronze one is doing fine. The blackmoor in the smaller tank didn't make it either. I am surprised that the tetra is doing so well, but then again travelling and putting up with differenct water environments may help.

Cheers

if you have hard alkaline water, have you considered keeping african cichlids? N. Brichardi for example are really easy, and just gorgeous and prolific little breeders! But like everyone with hard water, I bet all you really want is a planted community tank, hey!

Archived