Tiger Oscars To Be Put Together

Anasfire

ok below is a photo of my tiger oscars Logan (the big one in front) and Veronica, the small one at the bottom at the back. I think she's big enough now to be put in with him but I'm not entirely sure. I don't think his mouth is big enough to eat her and they seem to get along well, she was following him around somewhat like a baby whale with it's mother for a while but then ventured out on her own, he's chased her a little but not attempted to bite her. I've removed her now though just so she can heal without stress, she went a little crazy when I tried to catch her and bumped her head. Ok here's the photo, keep in mind that he's right at the front and she's right at the back..it's a 1ft deep tank.

SUC30020.jpg

Opinions please as to whether she is big enough or not? I'm getting a black and white tiger oscar on Monday so need the grow out tank free

But what will happen if we all think you can put them together based on guessing what size they are side by side and a few days later he figures out that he doesn't have to eat her in one gulp he can take several bites and by that time you've already got the other oscar and she's got nowhere else to go?

I can always put her in with the new one, she's definitely not big enough to take the new one out but I wanted to introduce her to Logan, I think she would grow a hell of a lot faster in the 4ft than she has been in the 2ft. He seems to like her too, didn't get all excited like he normally does when he sees fish.. eg feeders. He was mellow and inquisitive and let her swim next to him for quite a while, reminded me of a feeder fish on a shark lmfao. The he just followed her around the tank and she was the one freaking out and swimming rapidly away from him. I think once she's healed I'll put her in again and see how they go. Of course I'll pull her out at the first sign of aggression from him

• 2 months later...

Ok well she killed the new little Oscar I got, ate him the poor dear.

She's now been in with Logan for 4 nights and she's still alive. He chases her and on occasion she'll swim along side him. He doesn't seem to have been able to take any bites out of her as of yet so I'm assuming he won't.

I got sick and tired of having her tank to maintain also and she's actually grown a heap since that last picture. She hides along side the filter most of the time but they are both eating so I don't think they are all that much upset about their new living arrangements.

I gave their tank a large WC last night and the both huddled together in a corner until I was done and there was no aggression there. I have a feeling that Logan is just trying to establish that he's the boss of the tank, which is uncontested as Veronica only just fits 2/3rds of his body size. Will get a picture tomorrow and upload it

It's a 4' Mousie.

I hope I'm wrong, but I keep getting the image of the friendly family dog that turns on the toddler... A clear divider is probably a really good idea! Then you can observe any true aggression while both are in the safety of their respective sides of the tank, until you can be sure they're not going to get aggressive, or are over it. It was his tank first, so I wouldn't blame him for being miffed at the newcomer once he realises she's a permanent resident and there for his amusement :)

I realise keeping a divider in place with oscars determined to get through it is easier said than done, though.

I hope it goes well for them ;)

I have no idea what's best for your lil fish, but have to say a big DOH! that I came all the way over there and didn't think to get a look at them. We need an emoticon that slaps itself in the forehead. Hope they still doing ok, will it take long for her to catch up to him? Or is he still rapidly growing too?

haha yep I love my Veronica Mars. They are still doing well, the clear divider isn't an option just don't have the means to acquire one. She is still growing really fast and should catch up to him by the middle of the year. He leaves her alone for the most part now but she still seems scared and hides around the filter. I'll be upset if she ends up being killed but not overly distraught. They are in a 4' tank.

I've put a hollow log looking ornament in there but she either can't fit in there any more (it used to be her favourite hiding spot) or she doesn't feel the need to hide in there because I've yet to see her use it.

Here's the best photo I could get for now

DSCF4321.jpg

Archived