Testing Your Fish Tank Water?

Notorious

I have been in the aquarium game for some 5 years or so, and i have had a variety of fish types. i must admit, not ONCE have i checked my water for anything. having that in mind i have always had what seemed quite healthy and happy long living fish

however, sine i wana breed quality bettas i wana make sure all is right.

therefore, i ask u the experienced fish keeper, what exactly are all the water tests that can be/should be done in a typical tropical tank?

I'm an experienced fish keeper and find that if I test the water I get obsessive and end up with more fish dying, if I don't test they're just fine lmao. So sorry, can't help ya...I say if it aint broke don't fix it and if anything u don't really need to test the water for breeding, more for your tropical tanks. I always fill up the breeding tank the day before I plan to spawn, allow the heat to settle then add the male with a rinsed sponge filter on slow (sponge filter is a new addition to my spawning process) and as long as u do weekly water changes the water should be fine.

I'm glad to hear all this. I don't really test my waters either and my fish have been relatively fine lol.

But now that I plan to spawn aswell, I got obsessed with the water and the ammonia just wouldn't budge. So now I've emptied it all out, refilled and added everything that it needs and now my pair are in the tank. Have been going well for the past few hours :)

I test it when fish die and the tank is fairly new, but that's it, and then I only test ammonia and nitrite. If the tank has been established for months and all the other fish seem fine I don't bother to test anything, I just assume the fish was weak for whatever reason.

Yep, exactly why I don't have any! Ex wants me to get some to find out why we 'keep loosing all these fish' and I'm like MEH it's a pain but sometimes fish die, no amount of water testing/adjusting is going to stop it from happening altogether so I'm not gonna put myself through all the obsessing and stressing over it.

Test kits are good for when you're starting a filtered tank so you can see when the tank is cycled. In betta jars I use them to determine how quickly the water is becoming toxic. This is something that will vary from one person to another. So I know that my jars can only last 3 days max before the fish start to suffer. I think test kits are good to have. I don't use mine constantly. Only when I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong.

Archived