Java Fern Hunting...

Naomi

I went to about 4 different LFS today and I could not find Java Fern or Java Moss anywhere! Or Greater Duckweed either...

I did find Anubias on some driftwood, so I bought that and ticked it off my list. But I still really really want Java Moss, Java Fern, and Greater Duckweed.

Some stores weren't even sure they could get it into Tasmania because of quarantine. Is this true, can I not order any plants online because of quarantine in my state?

My dilemma is I went out and bought a $120 tank, but it has an under gravel filter. So I can't plant anything that will root into the gravel. I did buy an unidentified plant today, and it has roots so I just tied it to a rock. Does anyone know what it is and if it can be rooted into rocks or driftwood? Or better yet, if I can't get Java Fern does anyone know of any other plants that will root into rocks that are available in Tasmania?

fishtank1.jpgfishtankunkown.jpg

Thats the tank at the moment. It's a 5.5 gallon tank. I had hoped to have a Java Fern on either side of the tank, and that Anubias in the middle on the driftwood (with Java Moss growing on the driftwood) as well as Greater Duckweed at the surface. The picture of the right is of the plant that I have no idea about??

fishtankanubias.jpg

The Anubias

You should be able to find out about quarantine from the Dept of Primary Industries or something like that. I think that plant is some kind of hygrophila, maybe stricta. Where did you get those plants from? Ask them to look up the catalogue to see if java fern is on it. Seems like common sense but a lot of LFS staff seem to struggle with it. Java fern is a pretty common plant. Either the shops are ordering from the mainland or there is a commercial grower in Tassie. Either way I'd expect java fern to be available. If anubias is available I don't see why java fern wouldn't be.

Hi Naomi, You can put plants in little potsand it can look quie nice. I have an ugf in a tank like yours and have hair grass growing in the substrate very well. Not sure about quaranteen laws, sorry

Pots aren't natural enough for my tastes. I like the look of a natural fish tank. But thanks for the hair grass suggestion! I'll give that a go if I spot some.

You should be able to find out about quarantine from the Dept of Primary Industries or something like that. I think that plant is some kind of hygrophila, maybe stricta. Where did you get those plants from? Ask them to look up the catalogue to see if java fern is on it. Seems like common sense but a lot of LFS staff seem to struggle with it. Java fern is a pretty common plant. Either the shops are ordering from the mainland or there is a commercial grower in Tassie. Either way I'd expect java fern to be available. If anubias is available I don't see why java fern wouldn't be.

The seemed all confused when looking through their catalog and then continued to tell me their fish guy wasn't in. I think I knew more than them. Luckily I found one lady at another store who knew what she was talking about. She said she would have some more Java Fern in a couple of weeks. Phew! I guess its just a matter of being patient. I still want to find some Java Moss or another floater.

Yeah i have a plant that looks the same as the one on the right. It's called blue Stricta.

Thanks!

Archived