What Am I?

Bender

Hi! This is Sebastion.

Picture006.jpg

Sebastion has recently developed what seems to be an ovipositor, but as Lilly kindly pointed out, thats not necessarily an indicator of being a girl. What do you all think? Any idea what kind of Betta I've got?

edit: I forgot to mention he's only 3.5cm long.

You might have to let Sebastion grow a bit before deciding on gender. Ventrals seem a bit short and dorsal seems small and female-like. But the anal and caudal fins are quite long and look more male-like. The shape of the body from the photo looks more male-like but that bulge behind the belly does look like ovaries. Can you get a pic from above?

Here are some above shots, they're harder to take than i thought!

above1.jpg

above2.jpg

And here's one of him/her flaring at a mirror, not particularly aggressively!

flare.jpg

The colour change is largely due to the angle of the light (he looks aqua when lit from the side, purple from above, more red from behind) but it is stronger when he flares.

It's not a problem if he/she's to young to tell just yet, I'm just curious! :)

Thanks abc, I'd guess about she's close to four months old, she's a lfs fish, and I bought her home about 6weeks ago looking like this.

cup.jpg

I don't have a male, but there are light bands that come up when she's flaring, you can just make them out in the picture. I was looking for darker stripes, kinda like the horizontal ones, but if they can be light, then yes, Sebastion is a SHE! :D

Sorry, should have been clearer, the stripes i meant are pale/whitish and run vertically down her belly, you can only see them after she has already been flaring for a moment, and just see a little of them in the flared photo, I tried to get a better shot, but the light is not good where the tank is. The last pic is a baby photo :D . When I read that females display vertical stripes when ready to mate i just assumed they'd be dark like the other ones. Are these light vetical ones what I'm looking for?

find a blue crowntail husband for her you will like their babies! halfmoon also a good choice, her anal fin like a rectangle comb so she is a good CT, see any bubble nest in the tank? some of my female betta can build bubble nest and help care the babies after spawn

:cheer: :cheer:

I must say I'm impressed with her, but I'd only ever seen drab looking girls at the lps. I'm seriously considering breeding, but i would like to see someone elses set up in real life first. Then there is the small matter of money :P for set up...

I wonder how long it would take my husband to notice our spare room was occupied by a few hundred fish? :dance: :fish:

ROFL!! - yeah i'm moving house before I can start that ;)

I must say she's very cute -what LFS did you get her from???

I actually went and visited Sunnylass place today and got to see all her crowntail babies (and daddies and mummies - and the vt babbies as well) haha - Really cool to see how she had it all set up and just to talk in real life with someone who could actually talk the 'language' as well (ie if I mention crown tails, halfmoons etc etc to anyone else I just get the confussed look HAHA - let alone talk about IAL or BS.... :D)

:D I got that look from hubby when he saw BS on the shopping list! We moved into this place two weeks ago, and I don't think he'd like it if I wanted to move again, not even so I could breed Betta!

I got her at Pauls Aquarium, on Oxley Road. They have been very helpful with my husbands tropical set up (he loves his tiger barbs) and quite willing to tell him he had enough fish in his tank rather than keep talking him into more like some lfs we've been to. They think I'm odd for keeping Sebastion in a filtered tank (under-gravel atm, soon upgrading) but I'll show them some pics when she's a little bigger and, if i get brave enough, direct them to some sites on appropriate housing.

haha yeah have been to there myself - I work at super amart just down the road :D I must admit to being suprised when I first saw the guy that works there - not what I expceted!! haha I seriously love his tats they are AWESOME! (the photographer in me always wants to ask to take his photo haha)

Let me know how the UGF works with her - I am looking at getting one for my boys! ;)

They are pretty good there, and helpful- I've had the using tap water lecture from them :D (nothing I didn't already know though - but was nice that they do inform people about this stuff). I try not to go in there too much - only if I need something that I can't wait unti the weekend to get.

Archived