Hello!

Bender

Hi! In the past I had never wanted to own a betta because they looked so sad in the pet stores, and whenever i asked about them i was told they'd stress out if put in a tank! Then I came across your forum while researching ick treatments for my goldfish. I'm very glad I did, it was an eyeopener! A day later (5 weeks ago) at the lfs i saw a cup with the smallest betta i'd ever seen in it, not much more than a fry at just under an inch long. When i put my finger on the lid of the cup, it leaped up and hit it full speed, the little guy had spirit!

I had a small 3 litre tank sitting empty, and decided I just couldn't leave that little fish to grow up in a 200ml cup! At the store it had very little colour, just a pale grey, but when the light hit it through a window, an aqua sheen showed up. By the time we got home, strong black stripes were showing down his sides (I assumed from stress?) I set up the tank (the benefits of pre-aging water for my other tanks suddenly doubled), took some before photo's and then started him acclimatising. After about 3 hours I released the little betta into the tank, took a couple more shots and sat down to do some re-search. As there was no sign of a ovipositor i thought it must be a boy and named him Sebastion. He looked ridiculously small in his tank but by the next morning the stripes were only visible on his head and the aqua colour was brighter.

Over the next few weeks his colour continued to deepen and change, but he didn't grow quite as much as i thought he would. Then 2 weeks ago a white spot appeared infront of 'his' anal fins. I think he is a she after all :( (kinda confusing as she/he still flares at reflections if I put the lamp in the wrong spot)! Either way, Seby is the most interactive and entertaining little fish I've ever known, and I'm grateful to you all for this forum because without it I'd never have bought her home! :(

Man, pet-stores are such ignorant morons! Stress out if put in a tank?? what the???!!

Your story is awesome! It's great that you didn't stop and listen to the crap fed to you, and you've done the right thing. Although 3L is still a little on the small side, it's much better than the 200mL she/he was in! Well done, the more people that become educated on the care of Betta's, the betta ( :( ) off they'll be.

Welcome! Sit back, put your feet up and watch the fishies!

Hi Bender! Don't let the white dot fool you - a lot of males have one, so they don't necessarily mean Sebastian is a girl. There's an article here somewhere on sexing bettas that you might find interesting. Have a look on www.ausaqua.net

:(

Thanks for the welcome! For the moment I've decided to keep Sebastions name as is, and leave his identity alone! I found that article Lilly, it was interesting to note that the only sure way to sex a betta is to see them lay eggs! As for the size of his tank, I think he's ok for the moment but I do agree he'll be happier in a larger one so have a 5gallon lined up as he grows a little more. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can work out how, maybe someone can help me identify this little one a bit more clearly!

Archived