Giant Guppy

guppiness

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with my guppies.

i have a female who i thought was pregnant (as she was getting bigger and the spot behind her was growing and changing etc). so i bought a breeding net and i put her in there. it has been well over the period (which i have read) to be the gestation period and still nothing. also i've noticed that she is like twice the size of the males. I am not sure whether or not this is normal as i haven't been overfeeding her.

pls help

thanks.

It can be hard to know when a female is going to drop. Personally I would remove her from the breeding net. They cause stress and sometimes a female will hang onto fry (for too long) abort fry or even die because of it. A clear photo would help a lot. You can tell when she is likely to drop because she will hang around the plants or in the corners, be aggressive, refuse food and generally act antisocial. You will also notice that her anus, which should usually be a small white dot, will open up and look like a white tube. Learn what it looks like normally and you will notice this difference straight away. Females ready to drop also 'square off' and develop a very square shape from the side - the back part of the belly should be dropped as much as the front and it should look like a rounded rectangle, not a smooth curve. When you notice all these signs, put her in the net. I would still use the net with caution as sometimes females will actually eat the fry as soon as they are born. A divided trap (where the fry drop into a compartment the female cannot enter) is preferable.

Females are bigger than males in most guppy strains, your males are probably young. Large females are a good thing, they are usually tougher and more fertile.

Archived