Green Algae

divy

what is the best way to stop green algae growing on the glass of fish tanks?

less light? 10 hours a day, more plants or something you buy in a bottle like algae killer or a algae controller?

i was going to try to just turn on the light for 10 hours a day but will that be enough light for my bettas per day?

and one last question, when your tank had algae in it and you do a 100% water change will that get rid of it all and lower the chance of it growing back or should i bleach the tank aswell?

cheers

The most common lighting cycles are 10 on/14 off and 12 on/12 off. The first is commonly used as a winter cycle and the 12/12 as a summer cycle. That being said, you could easily get away with direct lighting being on for les time as most times the room lights would be on anyway. just having time with room lighting shouldn't affect the bettas at all. If you have plants in the tank, you can't run off room lights alone, but I think you should be able to drop back to about 8 hours without much of a problem.

Is the green algae you are talking about the stuff that grown in little circles on the glass, like speckles, and is a bit tough to get off without something abrasive? If so, I have no idea how you get rid of that permanently. I suspect that is a losing battle and that minimisation would be a better bet. Even if you bleach it, it comes back.

yeah it is the barracks, the only reason why i wasnt sure if i could lower the light time was because of the bettas

when the light isnt on the tank is really dark during the day because the tank is enclosed in the cabinet

they'll be fine. some people with an algae issue even do a "black out" where they cover the tank in foil, a box etc and block out all light for days. Fish are fine after this, and the plants don't take long to spring back. Anubias probably won't even notice!

Archived