Growth-limiting Hormone Secreted By Betta Fry

finley

Hi

I've been reading about the hormone that fry excrete which limits their growth. Some say that it's to limit their siblings' growth, but that doesn't really add up; it makes more sense that the hormone is how fish limit their growth to the size of their environment. Anyway, that's why very large daily water changes seem to do so much to improve growth rates of fry...

So, scratching my lazy head, I'm thinking that rather than doing all that work is there not some material that will absorb the hormone from the water? Will carbon do it, or zeolite, or something along the lines of Purigen?

Thanks,

Finley

Funnily enough I was just talking to someone yesterday about this very same thing. He had 2 tanks of cichlid fry and he'd used some kind of resin material in one of them. He said he noticed a difference in the fry growth. But it wasn't exactly a scientific study.

Ooh, ooh, what kind of resin? Ask him, ask him!! :rofl:

All 'scientific' studies comprise the same 'anecdotal' evidence as any other mode of study; it's just that it's all lined up neatly so we can have a good gander at it :(. We've always got to start somewhere!

Fin.

Ooh, ooh, what kind of resin? Ask him, ask him!! :D

All 'scientific' studies comprise the same 'anecdotal' evidence as any other mode of study; it's just that it's all lined up neatly so we can have a good gander at it :lol:. We've always got to start somewhere!

Fin.

No. Scientific data is not just anecdote. Scientific experiments are controlled in order to eliminate all variables that could interfere with producing the actual results. The only way in which scientific evidence is anecdotal is in the accuracy of the instruments and set up of the experiment. Anecdote is not controlled and as such should not be used to make empirical claims.

This is an excellent applied explanation of the differences: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=33

:D

Archived