Profanity

Chuckie

It is truly ironic that I of all people am posting this. I have a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush. However, I have noticed a couple of recent incidents where people have tried to get around the word censors we delibarately programmed into the site. As this is a site used by people of all ages, we cant just take the view that 'we're all grown ups here', irrespective of how we may (and do) talk to one another in person.

The Rules say:

Offensive content must not be posted

**Freedom of speech rights do not extend to privately owned websites, such as this one**.

This forum is read by a variety of age groups. Any profanity, racism, sexism, homophobia or other overly insulting messages breach this Rule and will be removed.

Abbreviations, self censoring and attempts to circumvent the word censoring feature of the forum software also violate this Rule.

Please keep this in mind guys, or I'll have to XXX your XXXX XXX off!

:P ...who? Me? Never!

:lol:

I actually think a general list of questionable language might not be a bad idea. Obviously certain words beginning with an "f" or a "c" beg no argument.

But what of "bugger" or "bloody"...or "crap".

Sorry, this is not me taking an opportunity to let fly with bad language, I am truly curious about the use of these words (which are commonly heard during TV advertising or "prime time" programming) on a public Forum...

Aww, come on, you don't really need a list. :lol: Just avoid all words that might be even mildly considered inappropriate regardless of whether you hear it on prime time television and you'll be safe. All slang words for human anatomy and bodily functions would be a good place to start. Although I'll grant some of them are pretty mild and are in common and indeed regular usage. Think of it as a creative challenge to express your frustration in as colourful a manner as possible without resorting to swearing. I'm sure you can do it. In fact I'm eager to see what you come up with. :P

It's also a really good way to increase your vocabulary. It's very satisfying to tell someone exactly what you think of them when you know that they can't return the 'compliment' without resorting to profanity. Gives you a somewhat superior feeling. And may have long term beneficial effects as well, they say exercising the brain helps with memory retention as we age......what were we talking about? Oh yes.....

I have to admit I am not unfamiliar with profanity, working where I do, nor am I uncomfortable with it, but I am often shocked at the use of certain words and phrases in front of children and/or directed at them, and it seems to be becoming more commonplace. When we were kids our parents even considered the phrase "shut up" swearing, we were always told "be quiet" instead.

How about just thinking 'if you wouldn't say it in front of your kid, don't say it here'?

Personally I see nothing wrong with swearing in front of kids. Most of them know the words anyway, and if they don't they will learn them soon enough whether the parents swear in front of them or not. But I never swear in forums as it's usually frowned upon:)

You can't swear in front of other people's kids.

I have been known to express myself rather robustly in front of my own, but I am (dare I say it?) a bit of a maverick :( plus it takes away her power to shock me by swearing at me!

:lol: I know the feeling. Believe me I am not bashful by any means and when I talk about being shocked that people swear in front of kids I am talking about little kids (0 - about 10). By the time they have reached their teens most kids have well and truly learned the language though.

You can't swear in front of other people's kids.

Thats about the size of it. Regardless of if they might know the language or not, its still not the done thing. While I may drop the occasional 4 letter word at home in front of my kids, there is no way I would take it to the classes I teach each week, and I don't imagine I'd have many students returning for the next term if I did.

There are loads of descriptive, emotive, expressive and even inventive words out there to choose from without having to resort to anything socially unacceptable :lol:

Archived