Sign in to follow this  
splendidbetta

EPSOM salts - Magnesium Sulfate - what do aquarists use it for ?

hi all. i was in the supermarket and came across a packet of epsom salts. knowing that they can be used in the fishroom, i grabbed it. my question is, what are epsom salts used for in the betta world?? and how are they used(measurments/amounts etc...) thankyou in advance ;)

I've heard of people using epsom salts for constipation.. not sure if it works or how it works or what dosages they use though. The other thing I've heard it used for is treatment of dropsy. Again not sure of the exact details or how successful it would be. not much help really was I? ;)

consitpation and swelling. ive heard of people feeding a grain for constipation, and a long term bath seems to be popular for dropsy and similar swellings.

I assume the bath works by osmosis. Has anyone got instructions on how to use it (quantity/concentration, length of time in the bath etc)?

I had a betta with dropsy bout a yr ago. I put just plain sea salt in with him, and kept him in salted water (soz can't remember dosage) until the swelling had gone down

Use Epsom salts up to the same dose as you would common salt ie. up to 1g/litre, or 1 teasp. to 5 litres. It can be used at higher concentrations for short-term bath treatments -- IIRC, up to 1 tabsp to 5 litres, for 30 mins at a time 2 -3 times a day (less if the fish becomes distressed). It can be helpful for bloating, constipation and possibly pop-eye. You can also add a pinch to common salt when making up brine for BBS hatching.

:) hi all. well, that night i set up a hatchery using a 1.5 litre kritter keeper, water, pinch sodium bicarbonate, 1/4-1/4 and a half teaspoon epsom salts 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon eggs (what i normally use with great success) water conditioner floated the container in a heated tub at 27 degrees the following night, when they were due to hatch, most of the eggs hatched, but the nauplii never became active. they remained still, and the following morning (today) the bbs were dead, still unactive and at the stage were they had just detached themselves from the egg. so, i think that the epsoms salts fall under heavy metals that the BS cannot tolerate, and therefore die. i wonder of they would hatch only using a pinch of epsom? any one up for wasting more bbs eggs? im not :D

As I understand it, BBS are just that -- baby brine shrimp. They hatch and live in salt water. The eggs I use come with instructions that you should use brine in the range of salinity approximating sea water. I use marine salt to hatch, only because I happen to have a big bag of it B^}, and marine salt naturally contains a percentage of magnesium sulfate (1250 -- 1300 ppm of magnesium). I don't think epsom salts alone will really do the job, although some people do say they have success hatching BBS in plain water.

yeah, but i was just experimenting. i know that they can hatch in fresh water as well, but i just wanted to see if they would hatch with epsom salts instaid of the table salt i normaly use. oh, and, people ay that some salt in the tank can keep the nasties away.......well, what if we added a grain or two of epsom salt to every 12 liters of tank water?......it seems to be stronger than normal salt. what do you think?

my thoughts are, don't add anything to the water you don't have to add. I suspect that like other medications, epsom salts could lose its efficacy if bugs are allowed to become resistant to it.

my thoughts are, don't add anything to the water you don't have to add. I suspect that like other medications, epsom salts could lose its efficacy if bugs are allowed to become resistant to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the approach I take :)

yeah, i know, but i just thought it might be an alternative to normal salt. but epsom salt is one of our lines of defence against fish diseases, and i am with you that bugs shouldnt be allowed to become immune to it. and if i remember correctly, Lilli, it was you who taught me that bit of advice almost a year ago :D :)

LOL, Lisa, i actually think that bit of info went down in my mental encyclopedia. i learn something new every day, and if i dont remember it, i would be damned :cheer: every bit of information is valuable, especially if it involves bettas :((:goodo: ....oh, i love learning the fishy way :eadshake:

Actually, magnesium in your bath is excellent for people. Women especially tend to end up low on magnesium as they age, and so do teenage bad eaters, so add a couple of desertspoons of epsom salts to your own bath. I think it's quite dangerous to bettas if you use too much, it tends to harden the water and they like soft water, so I'd say just a little in times of dropsy, otherwise, knock yourself out in your own bath.

how does it assist people, Bren? Is it absorbed? I never knew that!

Yep, absorbed thru the skin. Great stuff for moody people like me. :) It was more common in the olden days to have an epsom salts bath... but we modern people always think that just because they used to prescribe the odd course of leaches that everything they did was wrong. A lot of the "taking of the waters" done around Bath and Thetford involved magnesium sulphides.

Use Epsom salts up to the same dose as you would common salt ie. up to 1g/litre, or 1 teasp. to 5 litres.

Would this be the same with uniodised sea salt?

Im not 100% sure if it would have come under 'common salt' as you said..

so I thought Id better double check :P

Plain sea salt is better for fishies than anything with iodine or flow assisters added.

You can also used epsom salts under your lemon tree to sweeten lemons, or in your fabric softener thingy in your washing machine to soften fabric. :P

You can soak your swollen feet in a epsom salt solution to reduce the swelling /have heard of it as a laxative ( not sure about that one ) and a poultice can be made out of it for boils etc.

Used to be the in thing for the first aid cabinet , right up there with condies crystals ,iodine, mercurichrome and castor oil .

From my research on E/salts it seems that epsom salts will draw fluid /swelling out of the body where normal salts will retain fluid / swelling in the body. Its all about osmosis .

Edited by jusdeb

Sign in to follow this