Sign in to follow this  
Bettamuse

housing wilds

A quick guide to housing wild bettas.

This is just from my observations of the bettas I’ve kept.

As we all know Wild bettas appreciate some form of cover. Whether it is from pots lying on their sides around the tank to plants, preferably both. When placing pots try face the openings away from each other. With most bettas out of sight is out of mind.

Some species of betta are extremely aggressive towards their own kind. Shelter for these fish is not just for comfort but for life saving hiding places.

I use a couple of bundles of 3 short lengths of ag pipe tied together with cable ties. These float and the fish being targeted always seems to hid in them while the aggressor patrols around the tank base.

Always keep tightly fitting lids on your tanks.

Never mix species with the same breeding strategy. You can keep a bubble nester with a mouth brooder, but never with another bubble nester.

B.pugnax, B.fusca, B.falx, B.pulchra :

They are relatively peaceful, can be kept in groups. Some aggression towards their own kind.

B.simorum:

Moderately aggressive towards their own kind. Can be kept in groups. Hiding places necessary.

B. splendens.

Aggressive. Keep separate, hiding places a must.

B.mahachai, B.smargdina:

Moderately aggressive, Can be kept as a pair or 1 male and a couple of females. Hiding places necessary.

B.miniopinna:

Moderately aggressive towards their own kind. Can be kept in groups. Hiding places necessary.

B.sanggau, B.patodi

Very Aggressive towards their own kind. Best kept in pairs, Lots of hiding places a must. These fish will kill their mate if no hiding places are given.

B.hipposideros:

Peaceful, shy. Shelter needed for the fish’s comfort more than for aggression.

B.channoides:

Peaceful, shy. Shelter needed for the fish’s comfort more than for aggression. They like to spawn under an overhang or in a cave.

Cheers

Hi was just reading fishlore.com and they had an artical that said they need a 10 gallon tank but a few could be kept together. true or not?

Id like to try my hand at them if you can put me in contact with some one willing to send them west

Cheers

Les

Sign in to follow this