Re Cycling

lpiasente

After loosing all but 6 fish I sat looking at 2 empty tanks for a couple of weeks deciding whether or not to start again. Who was I kidding of courseI was always going to start over again.I filled my 3ft after scrubbing it out ( the stand for the 4x2x2 isn't ready yet) and took the 2 filters from the 2 ft that was housing my 6 fishies and put them in as well. I had emptied all the filter media from my canister and boiled and boiled all the noodles and balls and replaced the filter wool, cleaned all the tubing and the canister itself hoping no nasties survived. I have set this filter up in the 3 ft as well. With the 2 other filters 1 internal ehiem and one has gravel and filter wool powered by an airpump will the canister be cycling enough or will the other 2 filters be taking on most of the load as the are already cycled? As there isn't man fish in there either. Should I remove one of the filters or is this risking an amonia spike? I certainaly don't want to put these fish through any more stress or discomfort. The canister has in the tank since Saturday. I can start to buy some more fish if that helps, but again I am still a little worried there could be some nasties left over although no signs all fish are very happy and healthy.

Thanks

It's great that you're back in the saddle so soon. In the same circumstances I think I would have gone into a major sulk for a great deal longer than 2 weeks. Did any of the discus survive?

Personally I would just let that tank go for a couple of weeks at least without adding any extra fish. If your tank is understocked it just means the filters will take longer to cycle. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

No discus survived, just bristlenose sae cories and 3 female bettas and 1 gourami. So that makes 10 not 6. I really did consider not restarting but the fishies were unhappy in the 2ft tank. If they didn't survive maybe I wouoldn't have gone again. My tank was a big feature in the main lounge so it was looking very bare. If things go wrong again then I wouldn't start over.

The fish are really being pelted around the tank with the three filters, the cories love it the girls hate it so Iwas hoping to be abIe to remove one of the cycled ones. I thought that if I removed the one driven by air and put the gravel from it in the tank and squeezed out the pad in the water, would that help? The pad is pretty dirty. My concern was if I removed that filter then the smaller one wouldn't be enough to handle the bio load and I would end up with an amonia spike as the canister isn't cycled yet.

Archived