Don't Know Who's More Stressed - Me Or The Fish!

Peta

Having a few teething problems at the moment. Little bit stressed out - me and the fishies!! So shouldn't have brought Gus (haha - Mustard Gas = Gus for some reason) ... didn't really have the room. Actually I really shouldn't of gotten any of the boys this weekend - certainly not on top of setting up the girls in their new tank!

Current conditions in the Peta fish room...

Heated Girl tank (22L). One DT with a few rips in her fins (will be keeping an eye on her) who is living up to her name (Hidie) . One Dt (Luna) lord of the tank who has one rip in her tail but is other wise in fine spirts and hogging all the food! If she doesn't stop picking on her sister soon she'd be going in the naughty box with the other one. Rosie is currently out on her own in her little box with no heater, seems to be doing okay, she's also got rips in her fins.

Then the boys tanks. One heated 52x26x30H (aquafx) tank divided up into three changeable sections (use to be the girls tank). I did have the three newbies in here, but think that they where getting to stressed being so close to each other - while I did have plastic dividers inserted with the glass pannels, I think they where still aware that there was another fish on the other side (as they kept flaring at each other) - possible that the plastic wasn't/isn't thick enough to toally block the others out...

As Copper boy (BF D - Kissenger) was dive boombing the bottom of the tank and Purple D was showing signs of also being stressed out - I moved MGD (Gus) out into a unheated box like Rosie. Gus isn't impressed, but he's dealing with it.

Then lastly - Eric in his 10L unheated tank with new rocks that I got for him today. Currently doing fine, although not really keen on the jumper I've placed on top of his tank to keep some of the warmth in hehe.

So now - I'm stressed out as trying to get use to all these new personalities - and how to read my new boys - ie knowing if they are happy/stressed/annoyed at me etc etc.... Making sure that they are all 'okay'.

I hate having the three fish with out heaters - even though it is resonable warm here so water temp isn't to coold - and they aren't siting at the bottom of their respective tanks giving me the stink eye (yet)

Also worried about going to get more girls for the girls tank - as what if that doesn't solve the problem with lordy luna (haha) ... and she just beats up the new fish....

Will remember this feeling the next time in the LFS drooling over the new boys in stock....

Whom ever read through all that. Thanks.

I at least feel a little less stressed right now... Time to put my fishies to bed. Hopefully they will also be feeling a little less stressed in the morning.

I think you're possibly more stressed than the fish. :Drunk_Buddies2: Take a breath and solve one problem at a time.

Have you got a thermometer to check the temperature of the unheated tanks? For a few dollars you could relieve some of the guesswork that's causing you worry.

With the aggression among the girls, if you add more girls and they don't settle down it means the most aggressive fish is simply too aggressive to live in a communal tank. So if you can afford the extra girls you could get them anyway and just give it a try. If you're not sure if you want to get more fish just separate them so you can stop worrying.

:Drunk_Buddies2:

yeah was thinking that last night - I'm going to be one of those crazy mum's!!! :P

Think it was mostly a mix of things - and so much at once. (plus my current insomnia bout didn't help) Have taken lots of breaths. In the light of morning I realised that the big angry red mark on Kissinger wasn't the result of anything *I* had done - but actually healing in his font long fin things (name of which escapes me right now)

All is good this morning in the Peta fish room again. Thanks for listening to my freak out ;)

Ohh and good idea about the thermometer - will invest in one for the cubes - Another reason that I've unstressed, is because Eric's tank has a thermometer on the side of his tank and when I checked it this morning it was okay. But yes - as the other thanks are smaller I'll get one to check those as well. Rosie got a water change this morning. Will be Gus's turn tomorrow. ;)

Razzi, that diagram is awesome - can we make it an article somehow?

Also Peta - a thermometer would be great but really, think about the little chinese food containers the poor dudes have been known to live in - they are pretty forgiving and your accomodations sound rather good! consistency is more important than perfection with fish. as long as the temp doesn't fluctuate, you'd be surprised how fine they should be even if the temp is 'sub-optimal'. My pH is always 'sub-optimal' but I never had a fish die from pH shock, cos I leave it be!

haha - I need to study that picture!!! Yes his ventral fins.

What can I say I love my fish and the idea of them being hurt - I have to do everything I can to make sure they are okay!!

Happy to report came home to a wonderful surprise.... Luna and Hidie... SIDE BY SIDE!! : :blink: ... they have been swimming around together and even played nice when I feed them!! Actually - there was even bubbles..... :D If I didn't know better I'd start freaking out that one of them was a him.... (I know better though ... well at least I think I do *lol* ) .... I'll keep an eye on them! *lol*

Kissinger and Frankie (trying this name on for now) ... are doing fine also. A little skittish - but I think that's just part of the processes. Eric and Gus seem to be okay - although keeping my eye on Eric's ANAL (hehe - see me learning) fins as the spikes seem a little dark - but that could just be the light blah blah blah.

Rosie is also good her tail seems to already be healing up so that's a good sign. I was going to try floating her back in the girls tank but given the harmony in there at the moment I think I'll wait another day or two.

Thanks everyone for the replies :D

Lill - I try to make sure that the waters always at the same temp, think that's why I get stressed out with the ones with out heaters as I don't really have a way to make sure it doesn't change on me. If you know what I mean. I also make sure that I use water out of the same tank (we have three different tanks here)

*sighs* I feel so much less stressed today... :D

Archived