Mustard Gas

Peta

basically a mustard gas (by the common use of it anyway is a fish with a black, blue, or green body with blue, yellow, black and sometimes white variegated fins.

The first mustard gas was less broad in defineition but that's how the name is used today; it covers those kinds of fish.

Thanks for that Sara - just wanted to double check I was right :P

I've now got a MG in my collection :D

The LFS has a nice range of Betta's in stock - shown by the fact thats where I got my butterfly copper from - today I was back in there.... and noticed that they had what I thought was a Mustard Gus marked wrong.......... they had him just as a delta. A few rows up from him I saw one that was marked as a Mustard Gas - with a very nice price tag .... couldn't tell there was anything different from the one marked as just a delta for @ $40 less .... So I figured, although I said no more I couldn't walk pass him, specially if I was correct and he was wrongly priced and I was saving a LOT on him! :D The girl who bagged him even commented that she would have thought he should have been marked as an MG..... I just looked at her blankly and went "Oh well he's cute anyways!"

.... hehe

tell me about it :P I recently scored a Black Copper OHM Male (just bred him to a green dragon female)

he was marked as a "super veil tail" the guy at the counter said he wasn't sure what a super veil tail was, I got him for $15 :D lol he spread about 220 degrees.

ANy pics of the new boy?

:P we must of been posting at the same time Sara.

WOW Score on your boy!! - I got all my boy's this weekend for the great price of $13.50 each :D As the LFS was having a special on deltas - $15 (normaly $20 I believe) ... and as I'm a 'store member' I actually get discount on top of that! :D

MG is, strictly speaking, a green and yellow bicolour betta, with a butterfly pattern. The first MG were bred by Jude Ahls. They were named 'mustard gas' because they were expected to have as huge an impact on the hobby as MG did on WW2. They were quite a sensation when they came on the scene.

MG now is generally understood to mean yellow and blue/green/black bicolour. Purists oppose this and insist on calling those fish "blue/yellow bicolours' etc unless they also have the BF pattern.

Many Asian breeders now call anything with yellow wash "gas".

yeah it's become a real epidemic, personally I'm opposed to the "copper gas" which is just copper with yellow wash. It's irritates me a bit when I'm on aquabid and go to look at a copper gold (which I've always taken to mean copper) and it's copper with yellow fins. Colour names seem to be getting pretty interchangable.

The original mustard gas had 3 colours in the fins: blue/green, yellow and black. Later a white band was added as well making it a 4 banded fish. But the colours were supposed to have run in together rather than being clearly delineated.

Banleangbettas produces blue/green and yellow butterflies but calls them parrots.

Archived