Creating a mini rice paddy - landscaping tips?

You need an aweful large shallow tank. Fine dark gravel/sand sustrate maybe some of that lucky bamboo, but I'd be more inclined to buy pond plants from the local garden centre.

Tank mates would be snails but not much else.

Maybe a stray guppy but definately not if you intend on breeding the bettas.

It's going to be a regular tank. I just want them to have an underwater view that resembles their underwater view in nature - or better :Drunk_Buddies2:. So it's not so much about terracing - which is the view that we have of rice fields from above the water - but more about how things would look if you were snorkelling(?!) in a rice field!

Mind you, rice paddies aren't really Bettas' natural habitat - just something man-made that they have adapted to. So come to think of it, what does their real natural habitat look like?

Fin.

I believe they are swampy, low flow areas of streams, that sort of thing. There are pictures around from collecting trips that show shallow areas of water full of short reeds and grass.

So maybe some sort of mud/dirt look substrate, grass/reed-like plants (val? though not ideal, looks too discussy) around2 or 3 sides, some thin twisted driftwood pieces and possibly some dried leaf litter?

Too many obstacles could damage a long finned bettas tail, as most of us have experienced as some point they are very delicate and easily torn on sticks, rocks and plastic plants.

Keep in mind bettas are pretty much domesticated. The fish itself looks nothing like it's wild ancestors and are most likely just as content in a small planted aquarium as a rice paddly look alike bioscape. Even plakats are more showy than a wild spendens.

Rice is very easy to grow, one can find instructions on the net using google. but I cant see any benefits for our delicate bettas.

Most instructions require the use of mud, and i think it is probably the same for reeds.

Maybe some sort of artificial lookalike would be more appropriate to achieve the results you want.

Wouldn't a rice paddy be full of algae?

Rice is easy to grow? Hmm... might have to look into that. My mother is always asking me to keep something edible in my tanks. She wants me to swap the bettas for barramundi. But rice growing in the betta tanks could be the happy compromise. :lol:

Water sprite is edible.

• 4 months later...

Maybe a tank packed with lots and lots of val? My angels and kribs live in such tanks. It's awesome to see the angels weaving through the plants :D And val is so easy, you start with a couple of bunches and given the right conditions it will overrun the whole tank! I am always pulling clumps out. Let me know if you need any.

Archived