I forgot to touch wood

lpiasente

So that will teach me bragging about how discs aren't as hard to look after as what people think. A bacterial infection from hell has set in and now ALL my fish are dying except my beta girls. Pulled out a dead clown loach this morning and all the others are looking stuffed. Discus are all lying sideways on the bottom of the tank I have covered the tank as I can't look at it anymore. The joys of fish keeping are all in hell right now.

Thats terrible! Have you tried quarentining and medicating the Discus? You can't just let them die... Even if you try

everything possible and still lose them, at least you'd have tried everything... I hate that feeling of losing the battle.

I had a gorgeous Ranchu called Stompa that had the most intelligent personality of any fish I'd owned to that point.

After more than a year, he contracted GUD (goldfish ulcer disease). Even though all my research said I had no hope

of a cure, I spent over a hundred dollars on medication and vet fees (not to mention all the time and effort) to try

and help him. One morning, I went to his hospital tank to see him lifeless on the floor. His little eyes spotted me and

he struggled, forced himself, to swim up to me. I know he was saying goodbye, as very soon he slipped back down

and was gone. I was gutted. The thing is, I did everything I could to help him, and despite the sinking, losing, sense

of failure to keep something in my care alive, I learnt, and took, alot from the experience. I have no regrets that I

could have done more, if I had tried.

Go to your tank. Do what you can. Do not give up.

Oh yeah, you bet I have done everything I can. I was at the vet yesterday getting antibiotics. Spoken to everyone I can, even Andrew Soh sent me a post. He is the man when it comes to discus. All I can do now is wait. Another dead clown loach but the good old bettas are swimming around like nothing is wrong, gotta luv em. I did come home from work expecting some dead discus but so far none so that is getting my hopes up there could be hope for them. All the clownies are missing hiding in their driftwood I will have to try and get them out tomorrow just incase they are all dead in there. So fingers crossed all is not lost yet.

You poor thing. There is nothing worse than losing your fish like this. Have you considered moving the bettas as they may harass the ailing fish, or worse, contract what they have.

My thoughts are with you. As Ghengis said don't give up and I'm thinking of you and those beautiful discus.

Tracey

No idea what it is. Andrew Soh even said he hasn't heard of anything that attacks the fish so quickly and kills them like that so he can't help. There are more dead fish this morning and the cories look like they are bleeding under the skin. I really just want to put them all out of their misery but if there is hope at all? I can't believe the girls are just so unaffected by it. I'm not sure whether to take the girls out or leave them in with the antibiotics. I will take one of the dead fish to the vet to see if he can identify what it is.

Only fish left are 2 very healthy bristle nose 3 still not well cories 2 sae 1very sick discus 5 female bettas 2 r pineconing so looks like it got them after all and thats it. Not sure what it was but I guess some kind of bacterial infection. So I have thrown out all the gravel boiled all the rocks and wood (except the one I can't get out of the tank)thrown out all cleaning buckets,nets, syphons anything that could contaminate other tanks. I pulled out the plants and washed them all 4 times. No gravel or anything on te roots. Should I throw them out?

for something that nasty I'd be binning whatever you an afford to replace, you don't want to risk it surviving all the washes and laying dormant only to strike again later on.

dare I cry COLUMNAIRIS as the culprit?

IME it's something that can strike VERY quick and can present with many symptoms. but don't take my word it could be something completely different

Yep sorry but I have to agree. Chuck out everything that you can and start again. Sounds like whatever bug u have going on there is super virulent and I for one wouldn't be taking any chances. Keep us up to date with your findings, as I for one am very interested to see what the vets verdict on this one is. It just may save a lot of our fish. It's a real shame for u that u have to endure this. Chin up. Tracey

Hi tracy, Unfortunatly the vet is unable to do anyhing as I needed to get the fish there within half an hour after death and as it all happened over the weekend the vets were closed here so unfortunatly I will never know exactly what is was. I just hope to never get it again.I still have a few fish battling on but hopefully they will pull through.

Archived