P PLATES!

fuzzy_dragonfly

I have my P's !!! got them about 2 weeks ago although I haven't been driving much. It was my first attempt at the test and the testing officer was lovely, really calm and casual.

So I have a nice new red licence, typical shocking photo with peeling laminate because the machine wasn't working properly but still legit.

About 3 days ago I was driving home from work at 11:30 pm, got halfway up my driveway when I saw flashing lights behind me. The police had pulled me over for my first RBT!!!! - I repeat this was IN THE DRIVEWAY, seems your safe nowhere these days.

I nearly crapped myself when they asked me to step out of the car! I only just got my licence.

Naturally I hadn't been drinking, there was no problem and he was on his way.

He was fairly well mannered however it does confirm the belief that police target P platers as my partner has not been pulled up for the last 5 years!

Huh, I thought that they couldn't stop you in your driveway. How odd!

Anyway, congrats! And woohoo for your first RBT! I'm up to 2 now, both on the same weekend and both on the M7 where they were dragging about 12 cars off at a time. I felt so... special. :D

You are right about the P plate thing though, I used to get watched a LOT when I was on my reds, especially when I was driving my Dad's commodore. It must have been somewhat depressing for the police that I wasn't a hoon. They never seemed to care when I was driving the Rav or Mum's old Magna. Apparently they aren't hoon cars. *scoff*

So what is your P plate car?

lol I've been RBT'd probably 4 or 5 times in my 3 years of p plates... I've been followed once as well but then they went away....

OH JOY only 2 months before I can go for my NORMAL license!!! then I'll be allowed to do 110 on the freeways :D I can't wait!

congrats on the p plates fuzzy!

they also target roadbikes, i just bought a 06 R6 and i got RBT'd on saturday and today

i dont drink so thats a good thing but on the bad side i dont have my roadbike licence so on saturday i got a $562 fine and another $562 today

lol my fault for riding it so im not complianing but ''ouch" $1124 within 5 days

Congrats Klara!! I remember that day we walked to the club for lunch you were talking about ur licence back then, that was forever ago. I just got off my P's about 2 weeks ago :lol: I was only ever pulled over once, for a RBT. I spose my frist car was the biggest piece of crap tho, just ask abbey, she loved it lol

My car is a 1998 toyota corolla seca. This is back in the middle of winter. Yes that is solid ice (frost) on my roof and windscreen, about 1cm think!

Everyone was hosing down their cars before work that morning!

DSC00348.jpg

I doubt it was much to do with the car. It has really slow acceleration and this model is really common.

I'd hesitate to say the police might argue that they were pulling me over "before" I got to the driveway but I only noticed the lights flashing "After" I was halfway up the driveway. If they did try to fine me I guess it may have been debatable.

Maybe the police were desperate to catch someone. It's young people night at the local Catholic club and I assume that's where they thought I was comming from.

WOW i thought once you were on private property they couldnt touch you.........new rules or dumb policeman ??????

I remember a case where someone was charged for refusing a breath test on private property and it got thrown out in court. I'm guessing cops know this but ask anyway just cause most people wouldn't know their rights or are too afraid to argue with them.

Congrats Klara. Did you go manual or automatic?

Automatic,

I had nothing to hide so why bother making a scene.

"Big step towards being an adult Or so the radio show has be believe..."

It's more independence I was after, sick to death of public transport.

Don't think I'll drive alone on the motorway for a while though. Still having trouble merging in heavy traffic, paticularly at those speeds!

I've already seen a fistfull of accidents and one fatality, it's a deadly road!

Congrats Klara. I've had my licence 22 years and I still get nervous merging into heavy traffic at high speeds. There are just too many idiots out there who have no concept of either courtesy or safety.

As much as I hate to say this, I can understand why they target P Platers though. My half brother, Sam, who is 26 years younger than me, is still on his P's and I recently took Dad's car off him after he was booked for the 3rd time since dad died a year ago. He had been doing over 130 in a 90 zone but had slowed down for a known police hotspot so they only got him for 0 - 15 k over the limit. All of his friends do the same thing. All of them have had serious accidents including rolled vehicles and several cars have been written off, but they all think they are great drivers and that the police are persecuting them. It's only a matter of time before one of them is killed, or kills someone else. Unfortunately it is people like Sam and his 'mates' who make life difficult for the responsible driver on P plates.