What is this?

Canfeleq

Hi everyone,

I have this 'plant' that keeps coming up in all the tanks that have plants in them. At first I thought that it was part of the root system of the java fern but I have had it turn up in a tank that only has moss. It can't have been transfered from my other tanks as there are no fish in this one and it has only shown up in the past week or so. The moss was delivered about 2 weeks ago and has not been in any of my tanks and the water was straight from the tap, so it had to have come with the moss.

I have a fair amount of it in my big tank at the moment even though I removed most of it about a month ago. Can someone identify it? Just curious really.

DSCF0761.jpg

By the way, the fry in the photo are guppies...the tank is full of them :lol:

Plant in the substrate.

It looks identical to the RARE!! UG - Utricularia graminifolia

If it has short green leaves then its UG, if its got no leaves, then its a family related to UG....carnivorous plant

But really expensive....2X2cm portion $40....

If you like you can send me some so I can ID it further.

Mango

Looks like a "bladderwort"....a number of differnt species are native to Australia

As Mango4Jade says Utricularia "spp" ....a carnivous aquatic plant....but wont harm fish

Utricularia gibba "Bladderwort"...is available from Aquagreen from time to time for $5.50 a lot

I think it just floats freely??? not rooted to substrate??

I've had it (or something similar) from time to time.....it hitches a ride with other plants

Thanks everyone. I have not noticed it growing anywhere near the substrate but it always appears loosely anchored to other plants. It's not hard to remove but is very fragile so some of it always remains in the tank and as Kitz remarked it grows super fast.

If you are really interested Mango, pm your address and I will post you some.

Archived