Particles, particles, everywhere!

Ghengis

Weren't sure where to put this, so this'll have to do...

It seems I have a constant problem with particulate matter ("dust") floating around my tank. I recently did a small rescape, which I am sure

stirred everything a little, but even prior to that, I could sit at my tank and just watch millions of specks floating around. The tank is 70L, filtered

thru a 500lph internal. The filter just has that coarse black pad material, then fine white padding, then bio-balls. No carbon.

What would be a quick, simple fix for this problem? Should I add more fine-wool padding...? I'd rather not use carbon, due to it's nutrient

neutralising tendancies, although I'm told this is what gives water a "polished" look. What about turning the filter off for a few hours, I know it's

dangerous, but would that work???

HELP??!!

there is a product you can add to the tank that binds the particles and sinks them ready for the gravel vac..........not sure what its called probly several such products ...

Do a google or check out on line aquarium products to get an idea...

Personally I've found one thing in any filtered tank.....eventually the water will be clear....provided the filter is not clogged

The sponge needs to be rinsed out at each water change

Just may take a day or 2.....you can add fine filter wool to speed up the process....no need for carbon or a flocculent....just a clean filter and a touch of patience!

Personally I've found one thing in any filtered tank.....eventually the water will be clear....provided the filter is not clogged

The sponge needs to be rinsed out at each water change

Just may take a day or 2.....you can add fine filter wool to speed up the process....no need for carbon or a flocculent....just a clean filter and a touch of patience!

This is a great idea, but unfortunately a real issue for me. Every time I go to take the filter out for cleaning, all the water drains out, taking all the crap with it. Straight back into the tank!!! So I end up right back at square one. $hits me, no end! I really want to get an Eheim 2213 (or similar), but this "special treat, budget" tank I got x-months ago has already clocked 600 smackas... I actually, really, wish I hadn't attempted to do it on a budget to begin with. I got a cheap, 15W, light at $60, now replaced with a 48W T5 at $100. The cheap filter at $20 that I want to replace with the Eheim at $120...should'a just bit the bullet, first time!

I've added extra padding, along with fine filter wool, today, so I'll see what happens...once the filter has taken up all the gunk it dropped when I took it out to perform the mods! Gaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! :D

I used to have a similar problem.

When I rinse the filter I'd first put a plastic bag over it before pulling it out, it would catch the stuff running out of the filter. In my canister filters I use a clay ball product, (aquaclay maybe? I can't remember right now, will get back to you) It has similar properties to carbon only it doesn't take the good stuff as well

• 3 weeks later...

My housemate's 4ft african tank had same problem.... he's using a simple 'top filter' systme and have pretty much the same media like yours - black + white padding, black bio ball & a pack of carbon.... so suggested him to thorw away the old carbon and replace it with 'bio noodle'(get as much as it can fit in) just cost $6 & it's improving ;)

Eventually I'd get some better quality 'bio noodle' for him when I visit HK in 2 mths & replace all the bio balls, so I think it's a good quick/low cost fix~

Hope this help :D

I used to have a similar problem.

When I rinse the filter I'd first put a plastic bag over it before pulling it out, it would catch the stuff running out of the filter. In my canister filters I use a clay ball product, (aquaclay maybe? I can't remember right now, will get back to you) It has similar properties to carbon only it doesn't take the good stuff as well

Archived