Sign in to follow this  
luv_my_fish

How to ship interstate?

I know there are a few other threads like this, but none of them have clearly answered my questions.

How does shipping interstate work? Like how would I even begin to research it?

I've been on the FastWay website and have briefly read about labels and stuff, but I still don't really have a clue!

Any help would be great!

TIA!

Sending fish with Fastway is pretty straight forward. First you have to set up an account with them. Well, it's more like registering your address. Phone them and they'll send a consultant out to you to set you up. You will need to buy a set of pre-paid labels. For example, 10 red labels.

Once you're registered with Fastway. You pack your parcel, stick one of the labels on your parcel and phone your driver. The driver will come and pick up the parcel, take it back to the depot and put it in the appropriate destination cage. The trucks pick up the entire cage and take it to the destination depot where it is sorted and individual drivers deliver the parcels to the recipients.

Thanks Brazzi!

It does seem pretty straight forward! I didn't know you get your 'own' driver.

I have another question...

Where do you get the boxes and bags and stuff from? I don't know if LFS's sell them? I've never asked! :wacko:

You can get free styrofoam boxes from green grocers, although I actually buy mine from a foam box manufacturer (Polyfoam) in Melbourne because I found it hard getting sufficient boxes of the right size. And sometimes you can find them and sometimes you can't. It got so it was a mad rush just before a shipment driving around and going through the rubbish of green grocers that it was much less stressful just paying for the boxes.

Ask your LFS if they'll sell you some bags. They usually don't mind. I bought a bulk lot recently so I do have some spares if you're desperate.

Fastway drivers operate as franchisees. They have exclusive areas that they operate in.

You don't have to buy a book of tickets for fastways, i'm sending stuff tomorrow with them and it's $50 to send to NSW.

This will be the first time i've used fastways, but my work uses them all the time and they seem reliable!

I usually use AaE air freight as it's alot quicker, but customers can't always get to the airport to collect.

Cheers

Stace.

i was told I needed to buy a book of labels from the outset. I had to lay out over $400. after that you can order additional labels from the driver.

Yeah, that's certainly the impression I was given. I bought a set of Red labels and a set of Orange labels when I first set up the account. Can't remember exactly what that cost but around $200. Even now that I have my account I still have to buy the labels in books of 10 or 5. And now that I think about it more, I'm sure I rang them once to ask if I could get just a single Green zone label because I didn't think I'd be shipping that far very often and they said no. They suggested that I use 1 orange + 1 red to make it up.

Sign in to follow this