Ausaqua - how are we going?

Callatya

We have a lot of new members and returning members and we'd really like to make sure that we know what is important to you guys.

I also have a few questions, just in case anyone is feeling helpful :P And I know you are all helpful at heart, so come on and throw your $0.02 in ;)

Do you enter this site through the main page ( www.ausaqua.net ) or come straight to the forum?

Do you know we have articles?

Can you find them quickly and easily? What articles do you think we really desperately need?

Are there any parts of the site that just don't work for you?

we get used to the same routine and often don't notice things that others do, much like the reply/quote thing that had us so confused!

What do you like? What don't you like?

I know there are a lot of new people around who might be feeling a bit on the outer, but we really would like everyone to feel included. If you have an idea or a comment or a (constructive) criticism about the site content or navigation etc, tell us! We won't know if you don't say, and we really do want to know how this site works for you. We can pretty much guarantee that we won't be able to fix everything for everyone, but if we know what is important to you guys then we'll know where our time and energy is best spent :)

OK, go!

*attempts to look brave* but um, try to be gentle, OK :P

I like the use of returning member over old member.

-Enter straight to forum

- I know you have articles but have never read them. I come here for the forum.

- I have trouble telling what the difference between spawn talk and breeder basics is.

- Ausaqua blogs seems unused.

- Fish rescue posts could fit easily in normal classifieds section.

- Cybermarket section could probably be made into a sticky in the classifieds section.

-Maybe put in either a x posts or x days rule before people can use the classifieds.

You guys are still doing a good job even after 3+ years, something that other forums have not been able to do.

I have to admit that I have never used the blog. I usually enter through the home page and I know where to find the articles but I usually just come straight to the forum. Over the years I have found this to be a very easy to navigate site so I honestly would have to say that I can't think of anything that really needs to be changed. I think that the admins have done a wonderful job in providing and maintaining an excellent site. Well Done!!!

I'm actually pretty happy with how everything is at the moment. I have the Forum section bookmarked, so I access straight to this

area, bypassing the main page. However, I do Google "Ausaqua" from time to time, so I can access thru the main page and have a

bit of a catch up on the news, so don't go getting rid of it!!

I'd like for Em's avatar to be banned as it's making me want to get another puddy tat, and I live in a unit complex where I can't have

one, so seeing her Av makes me jealous...

Yeah, I can't really think of anything that annoys me, here. I like that we must post in the Intro's page before accruing a post count.

Maybe something similar to what Lambo said, where noob's must post there to be able to post anywhere else at all...? Maybe a

little rearranging and rationalising of different-yet-similar boards might be an idea, just to help with navigation.

I'm on about 7 different Forums (3 fishy, 3 model car building and 1 AFL), and this is, truly, among the top two favorites for being the

most fun, best presented and easiest to negotiate. Interestingly, my No.1 favourite, Bomberblitz (AFL), is an Invision Powerboard site

also, so maybe that has something to do with the overall layout...?

Going great. Thanks for such a top Forum!!

Fantastic! Thank you all so much :thumbs:

Right, lets see:

-returning sounded better to me too, but had a less snappy feel for the subheading, so I split the difference

-spawn talk and breeder basics were split a while back, but we can look at that again, along with Cybermarket and rescue posts etc

-completely forgot about blogs myself, I'll look into it.

-I'd like to add Ken's avatar to the pile with Ems ;)

-we can revisit the access thing too.

Agree that this is one of the easiest forums to navigate.

My AAQ bookmark goes straight to Today's Active Topics. If I haven't been on for a while I'll go to the forum front page to check which forums I haven't completely read. I rarely go to the AAQ front page but I have been there plenty of times and I know the articles are there and I've read quite a few of them. I find the articles useful when people contact me directly via email asking questions that have already been answered in those articles. It's makes my life easier to be able to give them a link.

Is it possible to create a link to the Articles page on the forum header like Home and Board Rules?

Maybe Location could be made a mandatory field at registration.

Do you enter this site through the main page ( www.ausaqua.net ) or come straight to the forum?

Do you know we have articles? hmmmm think I heard that somewhere....

Can you find them quickly and easily? What articles do you think we really desperately need? Never looked for them really

Are there any parts of the site that just don't work for you? no not really, I find it pretty user friendly

we get used to the same routine and often don't notice things that others do, much like the reply/quote thing that had us so confused! ~~ I still can't do quotes properly!!! and only recently learnt how to include

What do you like? What don't you like? I like the community feel..nothing I don't like

That's all I can be bothered typing for now.

Cassi

Was originally on another betta site, but left it due to a small amount of flaming. LOVE this site. Only small nit pick for me, is even though I tick the 'remember me' box every time I log on, it never retains it. Could be something I'm doing wrong though?

You need to have your web browser (IE, Firefox, Safari etc.) "remember" your password. Maybe delete this site from your bookmarks, then google it again and enter from the main page. When you log in, a (IE, Firefox, Safari etc.) pop-up should appear asking if you want your password remembered.

PS If you are using IE, stop. I have IE at work and Firefox at home. IE sux, FF doesn't.

I 2nd that..I only ever use Mozilla firefox (just google it, it's a free and quick download/install and is always clean, e.g. free of viruses) but I keep IE on my computer coz if u uninstall it you have all kinds of problems..learnt this first hand a few years ago.

It isn't deleting from the bookmarks so much as remembering personal data. I think it is under options>privacy settings in Firefox, but I'm not sure where it lives on IE.

This is great feedback guys, we really appreciate it :wacko:

Also, I should have said this to start with, but if you want to say something and don't want to put it out there for all to see, just PM me. :D

Yeah. I agree. Would it be possible to restrict new posts in the Classifieds forum to members who have made a minimum number of posts? I'm on another forum that does that. Theirs seems excessively high particularly as it means people can't make WTB posts either. But a bit of a minimum wouldn't hurt. It allows us to get to know someone before buying stuff off them. We want people to be part of our community not just coming on here to sell stuff.

Main page actually .... I love looking at the photos on there :D .. and damit when is the gallery coming back? I so want to see all those pretty pictures!!! :)

Do you know we have articles?

YES!!

Can you find them quickly and easily?

ISH. When I'm in the forum - NO. (unless it's via a link). When I just go to the home page - Yes.

What articles do you think we really desperately need?

Identifying what could be wrong with your fishie. I'd LOVE a more definative collection of issues that could be wrong with your fish - what they look like ie how to tell if he's a tail chewer or he's got fin root... Clearly I needed that one :D ... but would love to see other things that may not be as common as Finroot and white spot... like a picture that shows a tail that's been chewed on by another fish (or self harming) .... or a discription on what missing scales look like... How to tell if they are fighting - I would have loved something like this in regards to the girls when I was setting up their tank... as I had no idea if they where nipping each other - just establishing 'pecking' order. - a danger sings of when fish are under attack maybe?

Are there any parts of the site that just don't work for you? ... yes the gallery :((:wacko:

we get used to the same routine and often don't notice things that others do, much like the reply/quote thing that had us so confused! ..........

What do you like? What don't you like?

while there seems to be a lot of areas - it works really well. I really love that I can click on the fishy next to a section and it will mark that section as read!!

Rightio, there seems to be overwhelming support for a minimum post for the classifieds forum. We did have a minimum originally but felt we were disadvantaging members by stopping sellers posting their deals. That being said, I can fully appreciate wanting to know people before they start trying to sell to you. :lol:

I'll have to bend Fae's ear about the Gallery, but as far as I'm aware that was part of the old portal system we had and I'm not sure how easy that would be to re-integrate. There are a number of new gallery-ish things that are in the works though, so hopefully even if a gallery isn't doable (there was some serious hair-pulling last time we upgraded and it was all because of that portal system) there will certainly be some more imagey goodness!

Archived