So this is where y'all are :)

PinkFishy

Hi guys, The 'other' forum was getting awfully quiet and very americana so I asked Mishy where everyone was. Apparently this is a well kept secret but so nice to see you all. I'm still trying to breed Bettas with the aim to breed the most beautiful red. Naughty little Bettas not being very co-operative at the moment - fussy boys! Can't seem to find the right lady friend for them. Also busy raising a tank of HM copper and platinum fry. It took me a while to pick up a breeding pair from Edie and they jumped tanks and spawned so he sent me home with parents and some fry. Fry coming along nicely. Looking forward to chatting 'fishies' with you all. (if I can work out how to use this new forum - not so good technically here) Lis

I'm pleased alright... Lis, I've got some awesome coppers from the spawn, you're welcome to "browse through" LOL... Unfortunately, when I went to hols, my mate didn't feed them properly. The tank was full of bbs eggs and many of them are swimming "standing upright" now....but boy their fins are awesome :cheer: :lol:

A couple of mine have curved backs. The interesting thing is there is one stand out plantinum - the rest being copper. They are also all looking like females at the moment. In fact the biggest and bestest one is a copper female. I'll try taking a photo soon so you can see.

Now if I crossed that platinum with a red male do you think I might be heading towards a pink Betta. That's my latest thing - I want a'pink' betta. :cheer:

How did the rest of your fish fare while you were away??

Lis

I'm pleased alright...

Lis, I've got some awesome coppers from the spawn, you're welcome to "browse through" LOL...

Unfortunately, when I went to hols, my mate didn't feed them properly. The tank was full of bbs eggs and many of them are swimming "standing upright" now....but boy their fins are awesome :lol::D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No biggy with the rest of my fish, some died, some went on hunger strike, but they all OK :cheer: I've got some platinums on my tank as well...well, I'm not quite sure if you cross the platinum to red whether u get pinky. Since the "platinum" here is actually derived from copper. Chances u'll get lots of copper red or metallic reds. you better off trying to cross orange with platinum to get pinky. At least u will get some weird combination since orange is is "half red-loss" gene (forgot the proper term for this lol)

Right I can see I'll be going on a mission to find an orange betta. But what about a red and an opaque white - will that get me pink? It would with a paint set but not sure if that's the case with these little critters - still learning about genetics of them.

you better off trying to cross orange with platinum to get pinky. At least u will get some weird combination since orange is is "half red-loss" gene (forgot the proper term for this lol)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm....opaque white is something still unknown to me...I'm still trying to figure out the main role for opaque white. I know they are used to generate lots of light body bettas. Your problem becomes a lot tougher since red is very difficult to "control" colour. That's why I initially suggested orange since orange itself has red or yellow base and not so 'strong' in its red :cheer: Mind you, pink is a colour that is not being created yet on bettas AFAIK. It's as tough as purple.

Hi Lis!!!! How about starting out with a Lavender pair and selectively breed the pinkest offspring? I have seen a few pinkish fish on aquabid. The white/silver platinum over red type of pinkish. I'd say give it a go - the fry will be pretty things anyway :cheer: Also, remember my experimental "premium VT" spawn? VT dad, SD mum? well most of the fry are actually deltas, and I bet with a couple of generations crossing HM geno stock into the line you'd get up to SD or even HM - it would take a while, but there are some amazing pink VTs you can get from the LFS you could kick off with. If you're really keen, that is :lol: It's so good to have you here. How is that AWESOME MG of yours?

Oh I wish you hadn't asked that. Bad ? RIP Mr MG. I lost the girl too. I had 3 very serious attempts at breeding them and he just kept eating the eggs or fry. It was very traumatic. So I'm a tad too upset to ever go near MG's again.

I'll keep my eye out on the pinkish VT's although I am probably too impatient to cross them. I want my Pink HM now!! :cheer::lol:

How is that AWESOME MG of yours?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived