2ft Community tank suggestions

Robbies Betta

Alrite, srcap that first ? and here's a better one :) I'm planning on gettin a 2ft tank. Want it as a commy tank, and so was thinking, what does this combo sound like? School of Mossy Barbs School of hatchet fish cple of cories Angel fish and also, plants (lots of em :D ) does this sound alrite? and would I be able to put any other fish in, say female bettas? cheers :welcome:

I'd think angels might be a bit large for a 2' :welcome: Hatchets jump, so you'd need a tight-fitting lid, keep that in mind if you are using a HOB filter, you'll need the lid custom cut. What about a gourami of some sort instead of the angel? Actually, starting from the beginning, what is your tap pH and what substrate are you going to use?

Mossy barbs are beautiful-looking fish, but mightn't be a good choice if you definitely want to have female bettas in the tank as well. Same with the angelfish -- also, as Abbey said, they'd probably be too large for a 2-footer.

Zebra danios would probably go well with mossy barbs, and there are some interesting colour variants and long-finned varieties around, too. (Personally, I think hatchetfish are boring, but that's just me :welcome: )

Have you seen the Adelaide Auqarium website? It has a great compatability guide as well as species information.

Robbie

If you want to keep female bettas in this tank then why not set up a community of Tetra and Rams.

You could get Cardinals, Neons, Serpaes, Rummy nose, Head and Tail lights, Silver tips, Black Neons, Emperor, etc,etc and you could also put in some of the small Blue or gold Rams.

Set up with heaps of nice plant they look good in a 2 footer.

In fact I won BEST DISPLASY OF SHOW at the R.N.A. with a 2foot planted tank with Cardinal Tetras.

Posted Image

The old KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) works pretty good. If you start mixing too many types of fish you end up with fish that have different water conditions and as a result don't mix well.

Try to stick with a community of fish from one location.

Graeme :welcome:

I haven't got my tank yet Jess :cheer::lol: But will let u know as soon as I have it :D As a substrate, I was thinking of using a medium/fine gravel and sand? Might decide to keep the female bettas out then (I can do that, cause I really want to mossy barbs :D ), but mini rams sound good, as do dwarf gouramis. I was at a LFS yesterday and the thing that got me with the angels were these yellow and blue angels (freshwater) and they were to die for :D Maybe a sep tank for them later :wink: :D I'm not a very keen person on the smaller fish. I like my fish largish (can't stand little dogs either :D ) and rams/dwarf gouramis sound perfect, tho there are quite a few tetras out there. hhmmmmm My tap pH is around the 7.5-8 range. tho I did use a soil pH test, but will try and find the water pH tester we have floating around here :D oh, and also, would a pleco b better off than cories? as hatchetfish like temps to be around 24-28*C and I've learnt that that may be to hot for cum cory species

I love marble hatchets. They are a little smaller than other hatchets, but the colours they have are incredible. They are very flighty though so as Abbey said you really need a tight fitting lid, and some clear surface area for them to eat as they take food directly from the waters surface and won't eat sinking foods.

Robbie check out teh Buenos Aires tetras - they are colourful and large. Also Pristella tetras are an okay size and interesting. I have kept them and other tetras with female bettas just fine and at one stage had one small angelfish in there too. Before the female bettas I had a male VT in the community tank and he and tankmates were all very happy together. Lis

Had a look at the "blue yellow" angels. turns out that they were just gold VT's that had the blue shimmer effect from the angle I was standing at :) but I got to "trade" my ill cory for another one (tho they only gave me half cash back so I had to pay the other half for the new fish :) ), but he's home now and loving it up with the other two :D

Archived