Hi from Warrnambool Vic

Guest justafarmer

Guest justafarmer

Hi everyone. Good Aussie site. I'm on a fact finding mission so I can set up a good, lo-maintenance 6 foot tank. I was a keen hobbyist in my younger days but family and work took their toll on time. So now that the kids are a little older, I'd like to introduce them to what was once a favourite pasttime. Hopefully I can learn a little about new technology and philosophies in fishkeeping!

Hi justafarmer. Me too! And very pleased to have the time to get back into the hobby now that those unavoidable distractions are not so pressing. I'm starting off with a 4 ft tank and I'm thinking of keeping it down to a few species only.

So far, I have cycled the tank to no ammonia and 0.5 ppm nitrite, using ten 'feeder fish' to supply the nutrients. They turn out to be rosy barbs and after 3 weeks 40% have survived (and grown). Four days ago I added three little bristlenose cats and some plants. The visible algae have all but disappeared in that time.

Next weekend, I'm planning on adding 7 corydoras and a red-tailed or rainbow shark (my wife likes them). Still haven't settled on the one other shoaling species to finish it off. And I can't bring myself to remove the barbs. I am thinking of silver sharks or maybe just add more rosy barbs. Would anyone like to offer some advice?

Pleased to be joining a good Aussie site.

Archived