oscar

fighter boy

hay all.

thought i might share some pics of my oscar with you all.

this is my oscar. he is a red oscar and bites.

ive had him since he was 5cm and he is now a whoping 28cm.

he lives on trout pellets and live feeders of my own. ussually guppies and shrimp.

he hates his greens and refuses to eat them so ive given up.

he is very aggressive and hates filters and heaters.

he has killed one of my filters and likes to try and attack my heater. reminds me that i need to invest in a cover for it quick. at the momment it is hidden in the corner behind an under gravel filter pipe in the back right corner of the tank.

he is housed in a 3 x 18in x 18inch with a 25cm gold spot pleco.

a quesion for you all: how can we justify keeping such a catfish when we never see them and when we do and are about to turn on that light they disappear.

also would anyone know the value of such a catfish?

i bought him at an auction for $60.00 but he was only around the 15cm mark. he is now 24 - 25cm.

any ideas?

now for the pics:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z153/bo...91/P1010519.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z153/bo...91/P1010392.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z153/bo...91/P1010391.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z153/bo...91/P1010520.jpg

it would be great to see everyone elses. and please feel free to share pics of you own and tank stats in this topic.

kindest regards,

rob

p.s.

thought i might also add a pic of my pink convict female with 3 day old young.

just because i thought it was a good pic. they were sold and i no longer keep any. they had to go to make room for my fighter addiction.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z153/bo...91/P1010396.jpg

Ok here are some photo's of Logan and Veronica. I've had Logan since he was the same size as Veronica. He's about 15-28 cm now.

SUC30072.jpg

Veronica

SUC30082.jpg

EDIT: Sorry forgot tank specs. Logan is in a 4ft unheated and Veronica is in a 2ftx2ftx1.5ft heated and planted.

Logan's 4ft has a AquaOne filter meant for 60L tanks but I've put it into a 60L tank and it blows everything around and the fish freak so it's in with him and It works a treat. Veronica has a corner filter attached to an air pump as well as an ornament attached to it. it's a coffin and the lid opens when filled with air to reveal the skeletons face. Will have to get some pics of it soon, the clown loach in there loves hiding in it. I'm thinking of moving him when I can catch him into the 3.4ft comm tank as there is a snail plague happening!

fangbigred1.jpg

This is Big Red (the baby) and Fang, taken September last year. Big Red is currently growing up in a 2ft tank with enough filters to take down just about any bad bacteria in there.

bigred2.jpg

This is Big Red taken a few months ago. Yeah he's growing up!!

very nice fish everyone. even if you just want to add random pics of your other fishies. show off ya photography skils and brag a bit about your steady hands.lol im all for it. or if you just anna kep it to oscars and the like.

cassi: i had a breeding pair of red tigers just like logan and veronica. very beautiful fish. my freind who i gave them to bred them a few months back i wish i had room for more.

with frequent water changes veronica will growvery fast.

if done correctly i have gotten an inch growth per months til they were 6months of age. once that hit that six months gap they slow alittle. once 12 months they should be aroun 25 to 30cm and the growth rate is thatslow per month you wont see a great difference in size. how old are they do you know?

also you mention keeping logan in a unheated 4fter. what temp are we talking here and is he still active and not sluggish like most fish kept in cooler water?

my oscar is around 16 months of age. ive had him a year and he was only alittle guy when i bought him home to mum. at first she thought he was ugly as hell. then they sort of grow on you. she cried the last time he bumped his noggin on my filter. i was furious as he broke the damn thing but anyway i love him.

feed them well on high protein food and keep up those water changes and watch the growth rate fly.

Em: your oscars are beautiful. i love the strong colouring of fang and big red is showing great colouring.

how old are they and how big is red compared to the pic were he is tiny?

i woulkd really like to keep one or two of the long finned variety. thy are very appealing to the eye with there huge tails. i love them.

keep them comming all.

I've had Fang for about 4 years now. He was about 2-3 inches when I got him and he's now about 8 and a half inches now. Big Red is about a year old and about 6-7 inches, he's got that oscar shape about him now that he lacked as a baby. He also thinks you'll give him food everytime you walk past the tank. Suppose it depends on genetics as well as other things about how fast they grow, Big Red might go into the 6 foot tank with Fang but I think my mum wants him in his own 4 footer. Big Red is very much her fish, she saved him after he jumped out of the tank and was close to death. It hasn't stunted his growth or anything :)

I saw a long finned red oscar a few weeks ago at a petshop and he was GORGEOUS, at least 10 or more inches.

yes as always genetic make up of the fish makes a big difference.

lucky that your mum was there to save him.

i would love a long fin red oscar. may i ask how much it was?

dont you wish osars were non monomorphic fish so you could know whether yours is a female or male. i no i would like to know.

keep the ball rolling guys. im having fun here.

I'd like to know if they're male or female, which is why their names are pretty non discript sex wise. And the big long finned oscar wasn't for sale, the tank he was in wasn't that big either so I don't think he grew up in there.

I've got no idea how old they are. I've had Logan since January this year and he was the same size as Veronica so he's at least 8 months old lol. Probably 9-10months. No idea how old Veronica is, only had her for about a month. I'm hoping she'll get big enough to put in with Logan soon so I can use her tank to grow out some bettas. I just want her big enough so she WON'T fit into Logan's mouth lol. He's managed to eat tiger barbs before so I'm not going to put her in there for a while yet.

Em: thats a shame. it would be interesting to know the price of a larger one. i woud say that it wasnt grown in the tank as it would be very unlikley that it would get that big in such a small space.

they are probebly using it as a holding tank justto show him off.

cassi: a word of caution when you go to introduce the oscars. be sure to take both oscars out of the tank and rearrange the decore before putting the smaller one in. let her sit there for a few minutes to herself so she can get aquanted with her surroundings before putting in the bigger one. this will confuse him and the aggression hopefully wont be as bad.

if you are as unfortunate as me. i havnt got a net big enough for my oscar and have to get him out by hand when i go to rehome him next. last time he had me down to my singlet and boxers because all my clothes were too wet.

he packs a punch. be careful of there spines in the fins. they hurt.

i remember the day my mate bought a 30cm beast from the aquarium. he managed to spike me through 4 bags. i now refuse to hold me freinds fish. i had a few choice words at the time mind you.

the thing i like about all oscars. no wo have the same personality. in fighters there may be a little difference but with oscars they have mood swings. and you can tell when they are having a bad day.

who here has toys for there oscars. im contemplating getting mine a ping pong ball but im afraid that he might just chomp on it instead.

mine has a few marbles :D he was scared at them at 1st but now i swear he plays with them and tries to arrange them to his liking... they won't fit in his mouth yet lol he's not that big yet! be interesting to see if he'd actually try to swallow one tho :)

OH S*#t I forgot to add about Logan's tank being unheated. Ok...he's been in it unheated since he ate the tiger barbs and he's been fine. He's still very active and eats HEAPS. The only issue I have with his tank is this strange white substance that accumulates on the surface of the water. It's driving me insane! I don't know what it is and skimming it off doens't get rid of it coz there seems to be twice as much the next day! I have been contemplating sticking his heater back in just to see if it stops the strange white stuff. Will let you all know if I do it. Gotta find a 6 way power board first or at least a double adapter:P

Only noticed it since I moved house. Hadda get rid of most of the water obviously. Kept a large bucket full and put the filters in a an eski and had them running in it so they still had the good bacteria in them. I keep skimming it off but it isn't helping. Plus the fact that all i've got to skim with is the net and it has holes in it doesn't help! It's very annoying.

Nope, sponge was always wet. I transported all the filters in the eski full of tank water and then plugged them in when I go here and left them running until I set up the tanks again. Logan lived in a 12L tank unheated and unfiltered for about 4 days before his tank was set up. I was so knackered from moving I couldn't be bothered filling his 4ft up buckets at a time. I just made sure I gave him daily water changes etc but he did sulk for ages. Went all green and wouldn't eat. He's totally back to his normal self now but we've been here at the new place for over 3 months. I'm not sure exactly what it is that is causing this white stuff but whatever it is it's really annoying me!

well im stumped. my only suggestion i could give would be to hook up the heater and see if it changes anything.

if it was a problem with the good bacteria you would think that it would have fixed itself given it has had soo much time to replenish itself in your filter media.

give it a go and see what happens.

Archived