Foods to speed growth in Oscars

Anasfire

Ok so I bought my Tiger Oscar Logan (who I'm pretty sure is male) a companion which I'm hoping is female. Logan is now about 15-20cm and the new oscar, Veronica a.k.a Ronny for short, is about 5 cm. I obviously can't put 'her' in with him until she is big enough, he'll simply eat her. I was wondering if there is a specific food that will help her grow faster or something I can do to speed up her growth? I'm feeding her about 3 times a day at the moment (when I'm home and I can) and am feeding her dried shrimp, frozen cichlid blocks (she get's 1/4 and Logan gets 1 3/4) and small protein pellets as well as bloodworm and blackworm whenever I have it. Anyone else got any ideas or am I simply going to have to let nature take it's course? Oh and she's currently in a 2ft x 2ft x 1ft heated planted tank.

ok well. i might suggest scrapping the plants in her tank and rehome\ing them as there is a great chance that when she gets bigger she will tear them apart. i would feed her a good quality high protein based pellet and healthy guppy feeder fish. not goldfish as they have a high fat content. i might add that trout pelets are good as they have a high protein cntent and are used to get the trouyts at the farms nice and plump for harest.

if you need some apm me and ill send you aheap.

i would be feeding her around 4 - 5 square meals a day or as much as possible.

do a quarte water change daily. and or find a bigger tank for her as she is only 5cm she may do in teh one she has for a bit. after a while she will need a new home to continue growth.

i started my baby oscar at 5cm in a 2ft x 1.5 x 1.5 cubed tank until he was moved to my 3ft x 2 x 2.

he now is a year later a massive 28cm monster who loves nipping kiddies fingers when they hand feed him his trout pellets.

also while she is young i might suggest hand training her to feed from your fingers.

it can be done in a mattter of 2 weeks and is very easy.

pm me if you are interested in learning.

WARNING:>>>> be wary when she gets bigger as injuries may ccur from being hungry and being hand fed. mine tend to like my fingers better than the food. but its a great party trick and gets the people every time. especially those unwary of its massive jaw power. the next one im gonna call chompa i think. lol

also you got any pics of her for us to see?

hope ive helped,

rob

Thnaks Rob, you have helped! I'm already training her to hand feed, Logan does but he's still a little skittish so patting him is still not going well. This little one is coming along well though. She's gone from frantically swimming off and hiding the moment I come anywhere near the tank to actually swimming up to meet me when I come near looking for food. I've been dropping her food closer and closer to the surface with my fingers so she gets used to them. I reckon within a week I'll have her eating dried shrimp from my fingers. I've got Logan in a 4ft and she'll be going in with him once she gets big enough to NOT fit in his mouth so she'll grow out heaps faster but at the moment he can most definitely eat her, I've put her in there just to see the size difference and he went straight for her like she was a feeder goldy. Thanks for your advice Rob, might take ya up on a small amount of those trout pellets too..ta

• 1 month later...

Thnaks Rob, you have helped! I'm already training her to hand feed, Logan does but he's still a little skittish so patting him is still not going well. This little one is coming along well though. She's gone from frantically swimming off and hiding the moment I come anywhere near the tank to actually swimming up to meet me when I come near looking for food. I've been dropping her food closer and closer to the surface with my fingers so she gets used to them. I reckon within a week I'll have her eating dried shrimp from my fingers. I've got Logan in a 4ft and she'll be going in with him once she gets big enough to NOT fit in his mouth so she'll grow out heaps faster but at the moment he can most definitely eat her, I've put her in there just to see the size difference and he went straight for her like she was a feeder goldy. Thanks for your advice Rob, might take ya up on a small amount of those trout pellets too..ta

Might be too old for this, I was googling trout pellets and came to this lol

- Anyway doesnt hurt

You could try increase the temperature (28 ish) [higher metabolism] and increase the water flow so you can make him 'exercise'.

Cheers