rescaping time

It's time to replant my discus tank. I have good lighting and dino dung for under gravel fert. I already have heaps of swords and a few crypts. I was after some suggestions for plants with different textures and colour that would tolerate the higher temps and no co2. the tank is a standard 3ft . Should I put something else under the gravel for plant nutients? Thanks

Most plants should be fine without CO². They just won't grow as fast which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can always add Seachem Flourish Excel if you didn't want to set up a CO² injection system. I add a couple of handfuls of peat under the gravel. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what it does. I think it's good for the plant roots. And somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind is a notion that the peat might add CO² as it breaks down. But don't quote me on that.

Went shopping today and had a ball (so did credit card). Here is what I got.

Blood star grass

corkscrew val

rush

dwarf blyxa

pogostemon stella

oriental

barthii

ozelot green

I didn't know what they were when I got them but I cam home and looked them up. Seems I got a few that are a little harder to look after. :lookaround: Kept all the crypts I already had and chucked out most of the amazon swords.I created a couple of levels with driftwood. I thnk it looks ok but it is all a bit cloudy from the dino dung. I will post some pics tomorrow for a bit of tweaking advice. :yes:

You've only got light over part of the tank? Yeah, I think I'd be inclined to get rid of that great big driftwood as well. The first pic looks quite nice coz you can't see that driftwood. Surely you can find someone to help you get it out. Although you might freak out the discus in the attempt so perhaps it's not a good idea.

I have 2 lots of lighting a twin 3ft t5 and a single 2ft. I think it looks darker up one end in the photo than it really is because of that wood and also there is wisteria floating for the girls up that end and it makes it darker as well. The discus like to retreat there sometimes because it is darker.

Archived