females fighting

fighter boy

hay all. ive got 2 female traditionall plakats. there suppose to be fmeale anyway.

what i would like to know is. this is for people who have seen males fight.

do females fight like males? meaning do they tail whip and fully flare there beards like a male.

the two "females" i have are aggressive towards one another and they flare like mad when together.

they have the short laterals like the females should but they have good strong colouring like a male.

im thinking they are young males. there meant to be around the 1 yr mark.

i cant give you a pic of each of them but they share the same colouration and patterning of the traditional pk.

dark boddied but when there stressed there coouring goes almost completly white and they have very dark lateral lines.

what do you think.

sorry i ant cause i only have my phone and cant link it to teh computer.

ive placed them in my seperated 2.5fter so they can see one another. il wait a bit and see who makes a nest first.

i think they are male. and ive confirmed it with the breeder and even they admit they get alot of undeveloped males mixed in there female tanks.

il let you know.

I have had females fight to the death. It is the main reason that all my females are housed the same as the males, individually, despite what everyone says. I know that people say they will establish a 'pecking order' but I had 6 females in a 1mtr tank. they had their skirmishes and everything seemed to have settled down by that night. When I got up the next morning two were already dead, one was severly wounded and later died, two were fighting amongst themselves when they weren't attacking the wounded one and one was trying to hide but kept getting flushed out by the other two. The tanks was heavily planted with java fern and java moss as well as having caves and driftwood. All of them were about the same size and age. And all were definitely female. So now all my females have their own seperate house.

It's common to have females fighting, I get this alot, especially from imported females, to prevent fin damage they have to be put in solitaire just so that its easy to sell, similar to that of males. that's why they became abit violent.

to prevent try to place 5 or more females together.

and yes they do fight like males. plakats mostly aimed at the mouth or head.

i've had girls fight lots, i've had them locking mouths and going into death rolls (and that was from spawn sisters who'd been together all their life!) but then they got over it.

i've got another girl who used to be fine, always the boss but fine... but now she just attacks EVERYTHING that comes near her so I've got her in solitary

you can try getting a breeding net or a cup and isolate them in the tank so they can see and flare etc at each other for a few days, by that time they should have worked out who's boss. also try rearranging the tank so it looks different and not like "territory" that one fish owns.

• 1 month later...

"females fight to the death!?!??? "

When people said "established the pecking order", they meant when the fry grow up together, and breeders don't want to jar every single fish they can leave them grow up together. They don't mean you bring 2 separate family and put them together. In this case they are all adults, then of course they will attack each other. If the other run away then order can be established but if they decided to fight then of course they will fight and if one injured and you have bad water, not treating the injury, fish will die. Even male fighters that use for fighting at the toughest arena in Thailand still rarely see deaths. Here you have fancy females killing one another?? man unless you put all 5 females in a litre jar let them biting and the other have no where to run its basically no way a 2 inch female fish can kill the other one. Logically if 1 fish feel overpowered, can't compete it will run and the mouth of a betta is "this big" man, size of a pen point. I don't get how deaths involve or could be your own immagination after hear the world " siamese fighting fish". We are talking about bettas not Piranhas. I know you will swear that a female fancy fish killed the other, yes its possible if you put them in 1 litre glass entire day but i still doubt it can. I started raising bettas when i' was 7 which is 30 years ago and started breeding 2 years ago. Never seen a fancy female kill another even when i put 20 of them all from different family together in a 55 gallon tank.

I have 5 girls that have to live by themselfs,they flear at each other all the time

I find that moveing the weak girl out, only puts the next lowest at risk.

I do keep some girls together and I have to keep a close eye on them,

over night one of them can be shered.

Ok I havent been breeding bettas as long as others, but I know first hand that YES female bettas can kill each other. They may only have small mouths, but they lock on and rip s*&t out of each other. I've had it happen. I do know from an experienced breeder that its best to keep a minimum three and they usually do sort out the pecking order and this too I've experienced. I keep all my females in together, and when I introduce a new one now, I float her in her bag for a minimum hour and it usually works out ok.

They may not be piranhas but they can still inflict serious and even fatal damage. Don't kid yourself on that one!

"females fight to the death!?!??? "

Yeah I agree that it's probably that the injuries get infected and the fish dies as a result. Or maybe from the shock of the attack. Fighting to the death sounds like neither fish gives in and both fish persist with the attack until one is dead. I haven't seen males or females do that exactly. But then as a hobbyist I wouldn't allow that fight to go on long enough to find out.

That's just semantics though. The effect is the same no matter what you call it. You might still have a dead female at the end. My experience is that if a female is aggressive she will attack anything that comes into her space. And she will continue the attack until that fish is out of sight. Best to put the really aggressive ones in a tank of their own.

Yes I think that shock was a major factor with the females of mine that died, I am talking overnight so not enough time for infection to kill them. If I had seen them fighting I would have seperated them before it reached that stage but as I said earlier it happened overnight. That was when I first started keeping them about 6 years ago and I have housed all my females individually since then. It's also better for disease control anyway.

And FYI Tan, bettas have teeth! They may be small but they are effective.

Archived