Early Morning - Shed without Electricity

RarePets

Suppose it tested the insulation. Our shed has it's own circuit breaker seems just as I was having supper last night Jo-Anne had heard a noise outside, thinking that we are possibly due for a meter reading and that the door to the meter is hard for some meter readers to close properly I went to sleep without checking.

Got up thismorning opened the shed flicked the light switches, no lights, no sound either from the airpump and power filters. Seems the breaker had tripped out. Good and bad results, Good water temp. of jars of fish had dropped to 18.6C same with fry tanks.

Only loss is the current batch of BBS, opened the shrimp hatchery doors and got the typical smell of dead Brine Shrimp. There is only one tank of small fry eating at the moment and they are eating the small pellet food as well so lucky this time.

When I got home from work I went to reset the light timers it appears the power was off in the region of 5 hours. So as unplanned as it had been I'm very happy that the water temperature had only dropped around 5C from the normal 24C for the non breeding fish. The car radio while driving to work said the temp. at 6.30am was a chilly 6C in the city.

I will have to check all the tank heaters to see if any of them had caused the breaker to trip.

The two month old betta fry had still been living in warmer water and all came up for the pellet food this morning. I will get to checking the bristlenose catfish in a while when I feed them.

Yeah, I'm so lucky that we got good advice when we re-entered the fish hobby. The person that recomended the airconditioner after we spoke of the electricity costs that drove us out of the hobby before, had at a time been breeding and selling 2000 Bettas per month. Plus other tropical fish from way up north in Queensland, a town my father had grown up in.

The only loss was the bottle of baby brine shrimp. With the age of the smallest fry they are getting the shrimp between 48 hours and 5 days old. So it has given them a greater chance of weaning to the pellet food.

I need some suggestions on what spiecies to set up in the 1000 litre tank. I put the big tiger oscar out after the albino tiger oscar had died. So I just have algae and Java Fern growing with no heaters, filters or lights operating.

Archived