(More) Help With Food...

Ghengis

Recently ran out of Betta pellets. The red-ish ones in the small dispenser pack... Went to LPS for some more and came home with Wardley's Essential Betta Food.

These pellets are extremely hard, virtually like stone. Whereas I could split the previous batch with a thumbnail for smaller mouths, these need a sharp knife.

After a few tentative tastings, Ghengis my CT, has decided he doesn't like them. I've noticed he has real trouble devouring them, and got to the point where he

won't even rise to the surface for a look at meal time. I've been substituting blood worms, to keep him from starving, but I know I can't feed him those every day.

Went back to LPS today and found the same pellets I had previously, brought them home and dropped one into the tank. Ghengis came to the surface and absolutely

nailed it with similar gusto to his usual habit. On the second pellet, though, he turned up his nose. Came around for a couple of looks at it, but showed no further

interest.

Have I put him off pellets for good, by feeding the inedible ones? Will he eventually get hungry enough to take the softer pellets again one day, or will I have to now

feed BW to keep him from starving to death...?

HELP??

I also feed a mixed diet, mine never know what they're getting from feed to feed, this way they aren't picky and if they don't like what's served then 1 missed feed isn't going to hurt them.

I use -

Frozen: bloodworm, daphnia

Dried: blackworm

Pellet: Sera vipagran, Golden pearls, NLS Grow

Fresh: live blackworm

Cheers

I too feed a mixture of foods

Frozen: Brine shrimp, bloodworm, daphnia

Dried: Hikari betta bio gold

Live (when I can get them) mosquito larvae, bloodworm, blackworm, white worm, daphnia and if I can catch them - fruit fly. My fish love them!

The mosquito larvae, live bloodworm and occasionally daphnia I collect from the water troughs and dams where my horses are, the blackworm and white worm I purchase from the LFS

Yeah, I do try to mix things up a little, but I prefer to use bloodworms or Peas or the like only occasionally. Besides

which, feeding pellets is just alot easier to manage, particularly in the morning whilst I'm having breakfast, pulling

my socks on, packing lunch and feeding fish all at once.

Really what I want to know is whether Ghengis will come back to the pellets, or not. As I already have a smorgasboard

of fish food, from flake to bloodworms, algae discs, shrimp pellets and peas, plus now two varieties of Betta pellets, I'd

rather not have to keep buying until I hit on something. I simply won't get thru all that food before it's no longer usable,

and then it just becomes a waste...

It probably sounds a little silly but he may have bruised/cut his jaw/gums/teeth on the super hard pellets so eating won't be a pleasant experience until that heals. Try pre-soaking the pellets and see if that helps and feed the "softer" foods like dried and frozen for a couple of days. Garlic juice is also an appetite enhancer so you could try a bit of that with his food (stay up wind, just in case :notsure:) it may stimulate his appetite.

Good Luck

Cheers

I think hes just been spoilt with the feeds of bloodworms and is now bunging it on so he can have them all the time...

Like all creatures his will to survive will kick in when he gets hungry enough. I know the pellets you mean and yea they are shockers . Just knock of the food for a day or two and start again with pellets , this could be useful too if he has hurt his mouth on the new pellets. Good luck.

It probably sounds a little silly...

Not silly at all. Had kind of had similar thoughts, myself. I fed him peas this arvo and he wolfed them down. A few bits made it to the bottom, but now (9:15pm),

there isn't a scrap of pea to be seen. He's obviously hungry, just unable to do pellets, atm.

I think hes just been spoilt with the feeds of bloodworms and is now bunging it on so he can have them all the time...

My GFs theory...and probably spot on also. As I have said, though, he only gets them maybe once a week. It's only been in the past couple days that he's had

a little more, just so I can be happy he's not going to die (yes, it's all about me :notsure: ). I will try your suggestion, though, and give him a day or two off the food.

Might help to heal any damage that may have occured...

Does he eat the alge discs?

No, the discs are just for the Cory's. I was just making the point that I have (what I think to be) alot of different foods, to accomodate each group of fish...

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I don't feel quite so apprehensive, now. I'll get back in a few days with how things are going... Cheers.

won't get thru all that food before it's no longer usable,

and then it just becomes a waste...

To prolong the life of your dry food just store it in the original container in the freezer. I have a 2 point something kilogram bucket in the freezer and use an old spice jar with the shaker strainer to feed our shed full of fish. When you look at the big fish meal producers everything is stored and shipped worldwide at freezing temperatures. As long as there is no buildup of moisture it stays dry at sub zero.

Read, today, that garlic is great for a Betta's appetite anyone had any experience with this?

And is it bad for them to eat the garlic...'cos a little bit might have fallen in the tank and he might

have come and nailed it and maybe got a shock from the flavour... :worship:

I think I have the answer to his lack of appetite, as well. Rampant Ich! Water quality has always been

spot on and I have never added anything from another tank into his tank...grrrr!!! Ahhh, well. At least

he might start eating again soon...

Just so you know he's not about to starve... I've had bettas refuse to eat for weeks before... and I'm currently very lazy with my feeding habits so my current fishies are lucky to be fed once a week at the moment.... they won't starve!

I've also had those wardley ones... Some fish will eat them, some won't... I used to crush them up into smaller pieces and found most of my fish would eat them (and yes they were hard little buggas to break up!)

I've used garlic once or twice but didn't see any change or improvements.. didn't see anything bad either though...

Went to LPS for some more and came home with Wardley's Essential Betta Food.

I fed mine to the cat. I couldn't bear throwing away good food but the bettas weren't having a bar of it. She wasn't overly enthused, I think she prefers the bio-gold too.

Unsure on the garlic front. It isn't great for mammals in large quantities, but Kent and Seachem both sell a garlic extract designed for tanks so it can't be totally dreadful.

I'd suggest just going easy on it as I'm not sure if A) the toxin harms fish at all and, assuming it does, :lol: what a 'large quantity' is to something the size of a betta.

Cheers, all. Call, when I opened this page again, the first thing I read was "I just fed mine to the cat..." "WHAT??!!", I thought!

Quick re-read, oh, you quoted something from my post...phew!

Update: still refusing the pellets. He does take one every so often, but still pretty much disinterested...

Due to this, Ghengis is only eating twice a week, now; once on Sunday's when all the fish get Bloodworms and once on Wednesday, which is Pea night, plus the aforementioned rare occasion that he takes a pellet. I almost had him tricked, last week, when I took a soaked pellet, speared it with a skewer and showed that to him. Since I feed him Pea and BW with a skewer, he obviously associates "long stick" with "yummy food"... Nailed that pellet real hard. Second time round, though, he wisened up to that trick.

I'm really spewing about this whole deal. He was totally happy to have pellets, up 'til three weeks ago, but that one or two bad experiences has gone and ruined everything! Very, VERY, frustrating. I've even started to notice less activity in the past week, guessing the lack of food is robbing his energy....

I dunno. I'll just keep adding a pellet to his tank each morning and if he eats, then sweet, otherwise.....

OK any one whos raised kids will tell you about the battle of wits that mealtimes can become....hes obviously eating just not taking pellets.

Maybe just take a time out and keep up your usual feeding routine till he snaps out of it.

Is he on his own ??? If so I noticed that the addition of a cory was enough to make my bettas eat like pigs.(they dont like sharing)and also solves the uneaten food issue.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you could get sneaky and load the worm with a pellet if your really concerned. Just a thought lol

Call, no, not feeding the Wardley's. They are placed between a folded piece of paper and ground with a hammer to feed the less fussy, juvenile, Betta's. I had bought another batch of the original, not so hard pellets for Ghengis, but he's still being a fussy little so-and-so. Mind you, dropped one in the tank this morning which got eaten straight away...the second one was ignored, though. <_<