One of my display tanks

Guest ( )

Guest be1betta

I thought I would put some photos of my HMPK females tank, it is just a display tank for in the kitchen. I made the tank myself and the HMPK's come from splendidbetta. It has 2 plants but I was thinking of changing it and putting something else in but I am unsure as it is not a very tall tank, so if you have any ideas on small plants please let me know.

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

Wow, well done with the tank and my fish :D It's nice to see them again. :lol:

How many L is the tank?

Looks pretty LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG, to me :D

Seriously, though, nice tank and cool fishies. Why not look around for some low level, slow growing broad-leaf plants?

Or maybe the obligatory Java Moss.... Betta's love the stuf! Also, more plants = less worries about ammonia, nitrates etc = happier fishies :)

Just my 2c

Guest be1betta

It holds around 15ltrs, its very shallow but the girls seem to like it, I had thought about java moss, I want it to look really nice too. And stefan's fish are great... I need more! (or i want more anyway) lol

Yep its only about 2ft long and not very deep. Its one I made out of second hand glass (its made from window louvers) I have made alot this way and the more practice the better they get. This is the sort of tank I was going to give you stefan when I come down to pick up some fishies next. But I have to make it first, I have been a bit busy for tank making lately (or too lazy). I will get there!

One of the girlies

DSCF0239.jpg

Only 15 ltrs?? The proportions of the tank make it seem so much bigger. Crested java fern is smaller than the regular kind, anubias nana is also low growing. There are plenty of others but I think you'd have problems growing crypts or swords or hairgrass because they might have problems rooting properly in that chunky gravel. But it might be worth a try. Blyxa might do ok in there especially directly under the light. If you remind me, I'll throw in some free plants in with the next shipment I send you. :unsure:

aww your a champ Michael, well just for that maybe I should make you a tank and bring it down next time I'm down your way (wont cope with the post i also need to get some more tank building supplies some day soon) you better remember to send me photos of my fishies when you get them all settled in! I love new fishies!

yeah I have a different light for the tank but it doesnt fit very well with the cupboards there and makes feeding and w/c's very difficult thats why it has that little light. Well I like color and I have a 2ft large tank that I guess I could put some red plants in, it has better lighting too. I also have another tank the same as the one in the pictures that I want to plant but I want it to have more plants than the one with the driftwood like completly fill it. The problem with them is they are only 170mm high and getting short plants around here can be hard to find.

Kitz's tank in this post is only 20cm in height. He's just got HC and hairgrass in there. But you'd need a bit more light and maybe CO² as well. Is it possible to mount some lights on the shelf above? The lights that I use on my shelving system I got from Bunnings. They're very narrow so they won't take up too much room. But more importantly they are daylight tubes 6400K which what your plants need. They're made by Crompton and the kit comes with the brackets and everything. They come in different lengths and you can join them together to make the required length. I reckon if you have one tube running across the whole length that would be enough for most plants. Then if you wanted to grow some red plants you could put an extra tube just over that area.

Archived