My First Planted Tank

Ok go easy on me! This is my first planted tank and I did not have one clue what I was doing hahaha.

It has only been planted for a few days and hasn't had a chance to grow out and look a bit brighter!

This is a test tank to see if I can keep plants alive! If I can I might move onto a 2ft tank. This tank was done el-cheapo as funds are tight (baby due soon!) as im on one income.

Im going to put spotted blue eyes in this tank.

tank2-1.jpg

tank.jpg

Hey! Not too shabby at all. Good balanced layout. Will be good once the driftwood is water logged enough so you don't need that great hunking rock holding it down. You are going to get rid of that rock, aren't you? Unless of course you were deliberately aiming for a "Tortoise Wading Through Weeds" look. Don't really like the chunky gravel. Wondering if the plants will be ok with it. I thought 2-3 mm gravel was what most people aimed for. But I guess once the plants cover the gravel it's not going to matter. And in fact the lumpy gravel might result in some nice undulation in the ground cover plants that would be otherwise flat if the gravel were finer. Good job Brett!

Yeah I thought the gravel would have been smaller too... dont see many pictures online of Eco-Complete. Its mean to be larger gravel on top to let more oxygen in and finer on the bottom for the roots. Doesnt do much good for carpeting plants!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it time for an updated pic yet? Surely that driftwood has waterlogged by now. I'm having trouble with glosso as well. Seems like only the new leaves are green and then they die off as they get older. That in itself is not particularly a problem but the old leaves seem to be dying faster than the new leaves are appearing. Pretty soon there'll be nothing left.

Archived