Bolivian Butterfly Rams

Anasfire

Ok I bought 4 bolivian butterfly rams on the weekend and they have settled into the 3.4ft community tank, or so I had thought. 3 of them are looking great but 1 had gone all black in the body and seems to just hang around the corner. The tank they are in had a shell grit mixed into the substrate which should be perfect for them but this little guy/girl doens't seem happy at all. I don't think it's even eating. The other tank mates are female bettas (around 20), 3 bumblebee goby's, 1 female guppy, 3 corys, a BN and a peppermint. Anyone had any experience keeping these fish and know what the black colouration means? Should I be worried or is it normal? I googled them and looked at a few sites which said they will show black colour when settled but this one seems anything but settled.

Thanks in advance

Cassi

Is its head pointing upwards near the surface of the water, and seem to be gasping for air or something?

If it is, you should keep an eye on the aggression in the tank. It could have been attacked. Remove it from the tank. If not, it will die within days.

No, it's not sitting at the surface gasping for air it's sitting in the bottom on the substrate just keeping to itself. The other 3 seem really social and interested in their tank mates but this little one just seems lonely. I'm not sure what is up with it. I'm keeping an eye on it though, the black colouring is diminishing slowly so lets hope it's ok within a few days!

Thanks for the advice

I did quarantine them but they were in a tank with some cory's and they didn't seem to be getting along (not to mention it wasn't heated) so I bit the bullet & put them in the community tank.

I will remove it and treat. Thanks

Archived