getting HOBs to shut up

Callatya

Posted Image

A very makeshift design, i'd suggest not using calico, but onion bag or a few plastic strips would work just as well i'd say. Its just so the water trickles down it without just falling. in the picture, the filter is off, but ordinarily it would be just touching the water at the base :protest:

It certainly cuts the noise right down.

I was having trouble sleeping because of all the tanks, and this was by far the loudest, and after this little modification, it was back to white noise. :angry:

If you keep the water level up to or higher than the bottom of the outflow ramp there is no water splashing noise some place you get better airexchange because the surface tension on the whole tank is in constant motion. As for motor noise if cleaning the inpellor does not work try a small amount of vaseline jelly on the shaft of the impeller but be very careful not to use any oil. Graeme :thumbs:

Unfortunately, that tank er, it leaked if you filled it up any further. I have the water up just under the lip of the AC300 i have on the 3', and it works well while still providing enough agitation for good gas exchange :thumbs: vaseline on the impellor shaft? I've not tried that, i'll give it a go :woohoo:

vasleline is the cheap and more available alternative to silicone lubricant. You can use it on your canister filters too to stop air from getting in between the joints and making annoying air bubbles that stop the filter :lol: . I like the trickling sound of water, that's partially the reason why I put a spray bar on the 3' tank to make that nice relaxing 'gentle mountain stream' noise. Helps me sleep.... well sort of, only when I have no assignments due ;) .

Archived