Sign in to follow this  
Streetmagus

Balok Lace Black Orchid Crowntail

I think I luuuuuuuuurv Crowntails!! I think there aren't enough of them on AB for some reason, although there are page after page of HM's and OHM's...

As for critiquing this one, I am not the right guy for that job. I will say he's bloody wicked looking, though! :flex:

I'll have a go at reviewing this handsom fish based on IBC requirements - so here goes

In a show I think he'd be in J2- Fringed Finned AOC ST Male class

- General impression: A healthy looking fish with a full strong body and no curled rays. Topline nose to dorsal could be smoother and the rays could be thicker ( check out the Turquioise Bettarazzi has for sale - thick strong rays are a bonus for holding the finnage upright longer over thier lifetimes)

- Caudal:: Ideally the caudal should have a 180 degree spread, although most CT's don't make this. Outer rays on the caudal top edge could be longer. Webbing reduction between the rays is neat and even but ideally should be 33% . Webbing between the reverse cross rays is even. Some of the rays are uneven in length and in the cross ray characteristic is not visible on all rays.

- Dorsal:: nice dorsal. Good width and well carried with even webbing reduction - the first rays could be a bit longer

- Anal:: webbing reduction and ray distribution is uneven

- Ventrals:: Bit hard to tell from the picture but look to be the right fullness and length

- Color: A vibrantly coloured black lace with good colour distribution on the body, dorsal and caudal. In the photo ther seem to be a couple of spots that are not as well marked on the anal

Overall a very nice fish with good breeding potential.

If you're going to breed him 2 things I'd look out for: - the cross ray trait doesn't breed true so don't count on getting baby cross rays at least in F1. It's unlikely but maybe some in F2 if the female also carries the gene; And choose a strong straight rayed female with good even webbing reduction particularly in the anal and a smooth top line to counterbalance his not so good points.

Cheers

Jane

PS: I hope you don't htink I've been too harsh - I wasn't trying to find things to criticise

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think you were being too harsh. Those points you made are true and I agree :D Some I hadn't noticed until you mentioned them.

Crowntails are also my favorite, and I agree thers not enough of them on AB! Theres usually 1 Page, and sometimes 2 pages, but for HM and HMPK there are 4-5 pages always!

Again thanks for feedback!

Mythicbetta has been quite thorough but I'll add my 2 cents. :D

This fish seems slightly out of condition as evidenced by the thinning rays. It could be competitive in a show if it was in better condition I think. Although some black orchid lines have a tendency towards slightly thinner rays. I like the balok rays but would prefer to see the rays curve outwards rather than inwards. These rays cross in the opposite way to what you would expect in a cross ray. Or the rays that are straight or V-shaped are also preferable.

There is currently a proposal for a separate Black Orchid CT standard being considered by the IBC Judging Board. This fish conforms very well to those proposed standards in terms of colour. The only fault is the iridescent colour appearing on the body. But nearly every black orchid I've seen has the same fault so in terms of colour this guy would be definitely competitive.

You could try adding IAL and salt to his water if you're not doing this already. And a bit of sunshine every day might help his ray extensions hold up better. Some CT breeders even go to the extent of installing reptile UV lamps. I can't remember what kind of UV is required though, so you'd need to do some research if you were interested.

Thanks for the advice. I agree, would be better if his lace crossed the other direction. Right now I'm using Atison's Betta Spa, so hopefully that helps. Now I just need to gve him more sunlight :D

I haven't reviewed on this forum before and was a little concerned about being too critical and upsetting people - but this is the sort of assessment that I give my fish either those that I buy or those that I keep as potential breeder stock and some people don't really take kindly to this sort of assessment.....ie "you're picking my betta to pieces" and get cross or hurt. I guess I just didn't want to tread on toes.

Your right B'razzi he does look a bit light-on but I kinda put that down to the photo and sort of ignored that :D I think I need a bit more work as a judge :book:

Sometimes thinning rays are a result of calcium and mineral defficiency.I've noticed that some of my imports, seem to suffer from thinning rays - it may have to do with the water GH or quality that they were grown in, which like ours is not "pure perfect water".Recently I've started using "Seachem Fresh Trace" which is a mineral additive in my water, it would seem to be somewhat like "Geo-Liquid" which at the time I started looking was a bit hard to obtain. I've found that it really helps with the thinning rays - it's not immediate but the rays show a thickening over time..............maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see :blush: Anyway it could be worth a try.

Cheers

Jane

Personally I think he is lovely. Some slight unevenness in the length of the rays and some colour bleeding into the lower portion of the caudal but overall a nice fish.

Sign in to follow this