Feeding fish in a community tank..

Jules

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask you guys for some advice :lol:

I give my tropical fish a variety of fish food on alternate days, which they all love and eat without any fuss..

I bought for the first time the other day some dried shrimp pellets for my bottom feeder loaches/fish.

In the past I always thought you didn't have to feed loaches as they live on the algae ( and left overs) in the tank. I have been recently told otherwise ! :lol:

Anyway the LFS suggested i just drop in a few pellets ( not too many) as i am still feeding the other food.

Well over last couple days i have done this, i put the usual food in first, then drop the pellets in ( in a few different corners of the tank), the fish all go down to them, and start picking at the pellets ( and getting in before the bristlenoses and bumblebee gobys have had a chance to find them! ) eeek!

I'm not sure how these tiny pellets work, but if one of two bigger fish start nibbling on the one pellet, then i can't see how the bottom feeders are going to get their share anyway!!!????

And i can see how it might encourage some squabbling (and injuries) between them all !

I was hoping the pellets would break up into tiny bits and scatter around the tank.. that way it would be more beneficial for all of them to get a fair go !

Is this normal?? and what else can you suggest? I am sticking to these pellets now that i have bought them, as they weren't cheap.

Do you think i should crush them before adding them perhaps?

Thanks for any help ! :lol:

Just drop them( bottom feeder tabs ) in late at night after you turn the lights out as this is when my BN feeds mostly...As for the B/B gobies they IME prefer to chase theyre food so I drop in some frozen bloodworm in the path of the filter outlet , dont worry they will all get enough to eat.

Next time you need bottom feeder food buy some of the larger discs if your stil concerned.

I drop algae pellets in for my BN and peppermint and the female CT's always try to have a go at them but my BN is getting big now and very bossy so he scares them off, jams one in his gob and swims back to his hideout. As Deb suggested though just put them in at night once all the lights are off and they'll find them.

Archived